WD
Posted By
WILLIAM_DAGOSTINO
Jun 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I AM TRYING TO CHANGE THE COLOR OF A BERET USED IN A GAME. THE PRESENT COLOR IS BLACK AND I WANT TO CHANGE IT TO RED KEEPING ALL THE CONTOURS AND SHADING OF THE ORIGINAL PICTURE WHICH IS IN A ‘.TGA FORMAT’. EVERY TIME I INITIALIZE THIS TOOL I GET A MESSAGE AT THE TOP OF THE WINDOW STATING: ‘NO OPTIONS FOR THE CURRENT TOOL’. WHAT IS THE PROBLEM? I SEARCHED THE TUTORIALS AND FOLLOWED THE DIRECTIONS PRECISELY WHICH ADMITTEDLY AREN’T DIFFICULT AT ALL IN REGARDS TO THIS TOOL. I’M PERPLEXED AS TO WHY I KEEP GETTING THIS MESSAGE AND BEING PREVENTED FROM PERFORMING THIS ACTION. THANK YOU.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 23, 2004
First, turn off the CAPS LOCK key.

Then tell us what version of Photoshop.

And are you using the Color Replacment Brush, or the Replace Color adjustment?

It sounds like you’re using the adjusment – and that message is normal when using the adjustment (because it is not a tool).
WD
WILLIAM_DAGOSTINO
Jun 23, 2004
I am using Adobe PhotoShop CS Version 8.0. How do I initiate the Color Replacement Brush in light of the fact that it seems as if this will resolve my problem? Obviously I am just getting acquainted with this software since I just purchased it 3 days ago. Thank you very much for your help.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 23, 2004
The replacement brush is a tool – found in the tool palette.

The replace color adjustment is an adjustment – found in the adjustment menu, or the adjustment layer menu.

They are different things, and covered in different parts of the manual, books and tutorials.
L
LenHewitt
Jun 23, 2004
William,

Select the beret. From Levels, set the OUTPUT shadow slider towards the centre of the scale. The selected area will become shades of grey. NOW use the Image>Adjust>Replace colour
WD
WILLIAM_DAGOSTINO
Jun 23, 2004
First I’d like to just say I appreciate the help from you and would like to say thank you. The only problem is that what was recommended by Chris is actually NOT in line with what I’ve read in three tutorials and in a 900 page book exclusively for Adobe PhotoShop 7.0. The ‘REPLACE COLOR TOOL" should be able to change the color of the beret, keeping all it’s shades and contours intact with the transition to the NEW color. But, it keeps showing a message when I initiate the ‘REPLACE COLOR TOOL’ at the top of the window. ‘NO OPTIONS FOR THE CURRENT TOOL’ is displayed. The ‘REPLACE COLOR TOOL’ is meant to be exclusively for this very purpose I’ve learned from multiple sources I’ve read. I followed your instructions Len and to no avail. The TOOL is still not effective. Same message.
GD
glen_deman
Jun 23, 2004
Could you post a link to your file? Maybe that way we can tinker with it and show you how you can replace the color.
WD
WILLIAM_DAGOSTINO
Jun 23, 2004
Honestly? I don’t see how I can provide a Link but if you give me an E-mail address , I can obviously send it directly. I hope this won’t be a problem. Thank you for your help and professionalism. Billy.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 23, 2004
William – again, you are confusing the color replacement brush with the replace color adjustment – similar words, but 2 different things.

If you were using the color replacement brush, then you would have the options for that tool.

Since you are using the adjustment, you don’t have a tool, and thus no options.
GD
glen_deman
Jun 23, 2004
Feel free to email me the file at
WD
WILLIAM_DAGOSTINO
Jun 23, 2004
Hello Chris. Thanks for getting back. Do me a big favor please since I’m obviously having this problem distinguishing between the two. I specifically saw in a tutorial and read in the book that to change a color I must go to: IMAGE > ADJUSTMENTS > REPLACE COLOR. It’s a pretty simple procedure if it worked but in light of the fact I’m asking for help, could you please show me the pathway (like above) in obtaining and using REPLACEMENT BRUSH? Thanks very much Chris.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jun 23, 2004
William – start by reading the manual about both of those features.

You’re too far off for me to explain it step by step.
L
LenHewitt
Jun 24, 2004
William,

The Replacement Colour TOOL is in the same toolbox position as the Healing Brush Tool and the Patch Tool. You need to click and hold on the little black triangle on those tools to get the fly-out that will display the Replacement Colour Tool
WD
WILLIAM_DAGOSTINO
Jun 24, 2004
I did exactly what you said Len. I went over to the ‘TOOL PALETTE’ on my left side. The SECOND grouping from the top. There, side by side are my PATCH TOOL (J) and BRUSH TOOL (B). I held down on each, one at a time obviously. It opened up fly out. In either case ‘COLOR REPLACEMENT’ was never an option. After doing this I went up to the ‘BRUSH TOOL PRESETS’ which is above the UPDATE icon. This is 7.0 so it is the eye with glasses and the beach in the background. NO COLOR REPLACEMENT option. What a project to get acquainted with this software. Thank you Len.
P
Phosphor
Jun 24, 2004
"…This is 7.0 so it is the eye with glasses and the beach in the background. NO COLOR REPLACEMENT option…."

Well, that explains the problem. As clear as mud.

First you say you’re working with Photoshop 8.

Now you say you’re working with Photoshop 7.

Which is it?

William: Read you manual, please.
WD
WILLIAM_DAGOSTINO
Jun 24, 2004
Sorry. My apologies. It is 7.0. My intentions were 8.0 cs but I forgot it wasn’t available and they packed me up 7.0. Excuse me. Really. Thank you for your help.
GD
glen_deman
Jun 24, 2004
<Homer>And that’s the end of that chapter.</Homer>

I don’t have CS yet, William, so I don’t know how to use the Replacement Colour TOOL. But since you actually have 7.0 (as do I), here are some ways you can change colors.

First, I wasn’t sure if you wanted to change the green areas to red or leave the green areas and change the black portion to red. Anyhoo, a couple of things to try:

– Hue/Saturation adjustment layer. Go to Image – Adjustments – Hue/Saturation. When the dialogue box pops up, check the colorize box and play with the sliders. I moved the slider a little to the left, and the saturation way over to the right. Depending on the effect you want, you might want to paint out the areas you don’t want colorized using the paintbrush set to black in the mask (the mask is the second rectangle in the adjustment layer).

– Duplicate the background layer. Then, you can use the airbrush, with the color setting, choose red, and paint over the areas you want red. Because the image is small and relatively simple, this shouldn’t be too tedious (for a very complicated pic replace color would work nicely). I found that when I painted the beret this way the reds were very bright, so I just turned down the opacity of the duplicated layer a bit and it looked more natural.

– If you use the Replace Color adjustment layer, it will indeed say "No options for the current tool" but a dialogue box should still pop up (like this <http://www.geocities.com/bmphan/color.htm>). Using the eye dropper tool, select the color you want to change; adjust the fuzziness to control how tight the selection will be, and then move the sliders to choose the new color.

Here are some examples <http://www.geocities.com/bmphan/examples.htm> of the colorized beret.
L
LenHewitt
Jun 24, 2004
William,

This is 7.0 <<

There is NO colour replacement tool in 7.0 – it is new with PSCS

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections