M
Posted By
Mike
Nov 15, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Have created an image that uses a lot of gradients. It looks fine on the screen but when I print the .ai file directly,
the gradients break up into a series of bands. I assumed at first that this was due to the limited gamut in the
printers (tried both ink-jet and lazer colour printers). But if I export it as a .bmp file and then print that – there
is no banding and I get nice smooth gradients. Any sugestions as to what is causing this and/or how I can improve the
print from the .ai file?

Mike

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

FA
Fred Athearn
Nov 15, 2005
I had a problem like that and I was able to fix it by putting a small blur on the gradient background. I couldn’t see any change on screen but somehow it was enough to kill that banding.

On Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:32:09 +1300, Mike
wrote:

Have created an image that uses a lot of gradients. It looks fine on the screen but when I print the .ai file directly,
the gradients break up into a series of bands. I assumed at first that this was due to the limited gamut in the
printers (tried both ink-jet and lazer colour printers). But if I export it as a .bmp file and then print that – there
is no banding and I get nice smooth gradients. Any sugestions as to what is causing this and/or how I can improve the
print from the .ai file?

Mike
W
Waldo
Nov 16, 2005
Mike wrote:
print from the .ai file?

Mike

Are both printers PostScript printers? In that case, try selecting PostScript 3 in the driver.

Waldo
T
Tacit
Nov 16, 2005
In article ,
Mike wrote:

print from the .ai file?

Are the printers you are using PostScript printers?

Illustrator expects PostScript printers, and does not print as well to low-end consumer printers that aren’t PostScript.

If you’re using non-PostScript printers, try turning the Illustrator file into a PDF and printing the PDF from Adobe Reader or Acrobat.

Art, photography, shareware, polyamory, literature, kink: all at http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html
M
Mike
Nov 17, 2005
In article , says…
In article ,
Mike wrote:

print from the .ai file?

Are the printers you are using PostScript printers?

Illustrator expects PostScript printers, and does not print as well to low-end consumer printers that aren’t PostScript.

If you’re using non-PostScript printers, try turning the Illustrator file into a PDF and printing the PDF from Adobe Reader or Acrobat.
Thanks all – and excuse me for posting to the photoshop group rather than to the illustrator group (where I thought I
had aimed it).

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections