Where do I get Adobe Gamma Loader? I have photoshop CS.

BA
Posted By
Brian_a.k.a_Alterego
Jul 19, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having problems with magenta showing up in the faces of persons wearing navy blue officers uniforms in my B&W prints. I have purchased Photoshop CS and have found a huge file (over 100MB) at C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration\Adobe Gamma Loader.exe. Clicking on this file does not launch Adobe Gamma Loader. Watching my procss manager, it blinks to life and then dies. Further searching the help file and the Internet does not tell me where to get Adobe Gamma Loader, though plenty of help files tell me to and how to use it. I have folders on my computer from Photoshop 5, 6, 7 and now CS, so it could be a remnant of one of those versions.

Can someone please tell me how to get Adobe Gamma Loader? Thank you!

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RO
Robert_Oliver
Jul 19, 2004
Can someone please tell me how to get Adobe Gamma Loader?

You already have it. It should show up in your startup folder (Start > All Programs > Startup). It is not a file that a user needs to run.

In order to *use* Adobe Gamma you need to access it via the control panel. Adobe Gamma will create an ICC profile that Adobe Gamma Loader will load on startup.
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Jul 19, 2004
I’m not sure why, but note that Adobe Gamma doesn’t show up in the Control Panel for Windows XP, but don’t recall if it applies to Windows 2000. To launch Adobe Gamma, you’ll need to go to C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration and click on Adobe Gamma.cpl. To make it easier to access in the future, I suggest also that you should copy Adobe Gamma.cpl to C:\Windows\System32 so that the applet will show up in the Control Panel.

Regards,

Daryl
GH
Grass_Hopper
Jul 19, 2004
Daryl,

Adobe Gamma shows up in my WinXP Pro control panel. Not in yours?

grasshopper
B
BobLevine
Jul 19, 2004
Daryl,

You need to switch to classic view in XP’s control panel to see Adobe Gamma.

Bob
BA
Brian_a.k.a_Alterego
Jul 19, 2004
Thanks guys I got it worked out. In the end it was a rather hidden checkbox in my printer options to tell the printer to print in B&W.
GH
Grass_Hopper
Jul 19, 2004
ahh, that explains why I see it! I have the XP start menu, but did switch to the classic view for control panel. 🙂
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Jul 19, 2004
Bob,

That’s odd…I’ve always used the classic view in XP and yet a recent install of PS CS on a new machine which I had already configured for classic view (the first thing I do after a fresh XP install) did not create the Adobe Gamma control panel applet.

Whatever, perhaps I should just preface my earlier post with "If you don’t see Adobe Gamma in the control panel…"

Regards,

Daryl
B
BobLevine
Jul 19, 2004
Daryl,

Do you have admin rights?

Bob
TK
Tomaz_Klinc
Jul 19, 2004
Adobe Gamma ReadMe.txt file, installed in the folder below, says:

The Adobe Gamma control panel has been installed into your Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\Calibration folder. To run Adobe Gamma, first navigate to this folder on your desktop. Then double-click on the Adobe Gamma control panel [that’s the .cpl file] to begin
calibrating your monitor.

No need to follow this in Win 2K, since Adobe Gamma icon is present in Start>Settings>Control Panel
RP
Russell_Proulx
Jul 19, 2004
I am having problems with magenta showing up in the faces of persons wearing navy blue officers uniforms in my B&W prints.

I do have to wonder how the Adobe Gamma **Monitor Calibration** utility will help in any way remove Magenta from the faces of people wearing ‘navy blue officers uniforms’ on black and white prints?

Sounds to me like you need learn how to make proper use of a print profile when printing your image. Try typing "Color print profile Photoshop" into Google to find numerous tutorials on the subject.

Russell
BA
Brian_a.k.a_Alterego
Jul 19, 2004
Russell, I was simply troubleshooting. We have a new printer with new options.

Thanks,
Brian
DE
david_evanson
Jul 20, 2004
It is possible to get to Adobe Gamma Loader in the non-classic XP control panel. In panel on the left click “Other Control Panel Options” in the See Also panel. You may need to expand the See Also to make this visible. If you have it installed Adobe Version Cue is also there.
RP
Russell_Proulx
Jul 20, 2004
I was simply troubleshooting. We have a new printer with new options.

Out of curiosity I looked at the Adobe Gamma Loader.exe file on my system (XP-Pro) and it’s only 108k in size and not 100mb+. Are you sure you weren’t seeing 100k?

For printing you should try:

1) File-> ‘Print with Preview’
2) Select ‘Show More Options’ -> ‘Color Management’
3) Under the ‘Print Space" select the profile for your printer/paper
4) In your printer setup select the same paper type and ‘No Color Adjustment’

If everything works as it should, and the profile you use is decent, your B/W prints should print without a colorcast. If the document is in B/W then there’s no reason there should be a colorcast regardless of what you do to your monitor via Adobe Gamma or any other monitor profiling utility.

BTW, I see Adobe Gamma in my control panel.

Just trying to help with the problem.

Russell
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Jul 21, 2004
Bob,

Sorry for the late reply…I’d forgotten about this thread. Yes, I’ve got admin rights on my PCs.

Daryl
B
BobLevine
Jul 21, 2004
Rather odd that it’s not there, then.

Bob
DP
Daryl_Pritchard
Jul 21, 2004
True, given what you said. It’s no big deal though, as creating the Control Panel applet is easy enough.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections