BL
Posted By
Barbara_L_White
Feb 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In Photoshop CS, when I add adjustment layers, it increases the size tremendously of the file. This never happened in any other PS version. What could I be doing wrong?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

DK
Doug_Katz
Feb 10, 2004
Barbara, are you in 16-bit mode by any chance? Adjustment layers add the kind of weight that regular pixel layers add in 16-bit mode (for reasons I do not claim to understand). In 8-bit mode, adjustment layers are as slim and lightweight as they’ve been in previous versions.
J
JasonSmith
Feb 10, 2004
Just tried a little test – 8.5×11 document – render clouds. Saved the flattened version as test.psd. File size is 22mb.

Added a curves adjustment layer, saved layered as test2.psd. File size is 44mb.

Maximize compatibility is on.

I’ll try it off.

OK, with maximize compatibility OFF, file size is 22.4mb – very slight increase.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections