C
Posted By
charltoncr
Jul 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
It seems to me that bad monitor calibration would affect the print preview in the same way it affects the opened image. But the print preview looks fine. So I don’t believe it is monitor calibration.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BH
Beth Haney
Jul 23, 2003
Ron, Elements would be the only color managed application of the ones you listed. It’s pretty common for images to display differently in it than in others if the monitor hasn’t been calibrated.

I’m not sure your assumptions are necessarily correct. Anything generated by the operating system – such as thumbnails and print preview – aren’t a particularly good standard to use for comparison against color managed software. And, you give no information about the printer you’re using. That, too, can have a bearing on how your printed images compare with what you see on the screen.

Have you visited Ian Lyons’ site yet? He gives excellent information about all aspects of color management. I’ll be back in a minute or two with the link, since I can’t seem to find it in my bookmarks on this computer.
BB
brent bertram
Jul 23, 2003
Okay, I’ll speak up . <G> . Whether or not you select "Color management", Elements ( and Photoshop , too ) ALWAYS display the image "filtered" through the display profile created by Adobe Gamma Utility ( or another such utility ). It probably is a calibration problem, I’m thinking.
Ian Lyons Image Flow < http://www.btinternet.com/~ian.lyons/ps7-colour/ps7_color.gi f>

<http://www.normankoren.com/Color_mgmt_flow_Sachs.gif> < http://www.normankoren.com/color_management_2.html#Fullmonty> 🙂

Brent

( Can’t say I’m much of a resident, anymore, much less an expert, but kind words are always welcome. )
BH
Beth Haney
Jul 23, 2003
What? You want us to gush ’cause you turned up?! 🙂 OK! Nice to see you back, Brent!
BB
brent bertram
Jul 23, 2003
Hi Beth,
I read all the posts every day, anyway. The FORUM is still my browser start page <G>.

I’ve had lots of genealogy email activity lately ( but no real progress ).

🙂

Brent
P
Phosphor
Jul 24, 2003
Ron, you don’t say what printer you have. I agree with everyone (Hi, Brent!) that a calibration is the place to start, but it your prints are still darkish, I know that on my HP I usually need to set the ink setting down a bit from the default or my prints are dark because they are over-inked.
BB
brent bertram
Jul 24, 2003
To continue on Barbara’s comment, you will get varying results depending upon the paper you use. I’d do all my experimenting on a single paper ( preferably a cheap paper , recommended by the printer manufacturer ), until I got results I could count on. Then , I’d widen my paper horizons. In my case, I use the inexpensive Epson Heavyweight Matte paper to proof all my images. The paper takes a good image, and gives me a standard to measure the glossy papers’ compatibility.

🙂

Brent
C
charltoncr
Aug 3, 2003
Thanks, Brent. I fixed my problem based your help. I ran the Adobe Gamma Utility and adjusted it until the "Before" and "After" appearance was the same.

I know that isn’t ideal, but it lets my use PE2 and not make all of my other applications look like cr*p.

Thanks to all who posted.

Ron
BB
brent bertram
Aug 3, 2003
Good Deal !

🙂

Brent

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections