RN
Posted By
Ralph_Nelson
Feb 22, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Okay folks…this may be the most obvious newbie question of all time or just today, but I am stuck and flummoxed.
Photoshop CS / Mac Panther: When trying to set a ratio of 1 to 1 in the marquis tool, I can only get 1 pixel by 1 pixel, so although the frame lines show the frame I am hoping to achieve, when I hit return to execute the command, the image is trimmed to a one pixel by one pixel size.Fine I suppose if you are into minimalist art, but not practical for much else.
What is the obvious thing that I am overlooking?
Thanks for your help.
Ralph

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 22, 2004
Are you doing Fixed Ratio or Fixed Size? Something not making sense in the question.
P
Phosphor
Feb 23, 2004
You have a fixed size selected in the Options Bar when your rectangular marquee tool is selected.

Reset it.
RN
Ralph_Nelson
Feb 23, 2004
I "try" to use a fixed ration 1/1, but it defaults to 1px X 1px and I cannot seem to find a way to get it to simply go to the desired ration without going to a 1X1 pixel ratio. If I delete the *px* after typing in the number 1, it still goes back to pixels.
aaaarrgghhhhhhh!!
Thanks for your efforts.
RN
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Feb 23, 2004
Ralph:

If you really have "Fixed Aspect Ratio" selected in your Options Bar, you should be able to draw a square of any size with the marquee set to 1:1.

If you are getting 1 pixel x 1 pixel squares, it would indicate that you have selected "Fixed Size" instead.

If that is not the case, try trashing your Photoshop preferences.
EH
Ed_Hannigan
Feb 23, 2004
There are no units in ratios. If you are deleting px then that means you are on Fixed Size, not Fixed Aspect Ratio.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections