FM
Posted By
Frank Marino
Aug 7, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
If I were about to purchase one of the referenced software packages, can you identify the major differences between them. I would like to be able to take pictures downloaded through my Canon camera (through Canon’s Zoom Browser) and be able to share them by creating a CD that most people would be able to open and view either individually or in a slide show format even if they did not have all of the software I have installed on my computer. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ray
Aug 7, 2003
Frank,

Photoshop Elements’ main goal is to process images, with sharing capabilities. Photoshop Album is to archive and share, with limited retouching capabilities. If your target audience is composed of only computer users, Elements will make a pretty good job as it will help you create a slideshow in PDF (Acrobat) format. People will be required to have Acrobat version 5 or 6, I’m not sure, on their computer already installed (a very easy process).

If, on the other hand, you’d like to create a slideshow that runs on a DVD player (a standalone unit hooked to a TV set), then Photoshop Album *would* be your target software. Be advised, however, that Album’s VCD feature lacks a certain quality. Pictures are sometimes very grainy or pixelated and are not worth watching on a TV set, in my opinion. I have both products on my computer.

So, basically, both softwares will create slideshows in PDF. But if it’s only what you’re looking for, PDF slideshows, Elements does a better job because it will let you enhance the pictures in the process, in an infinite ways. Album will help you manage them, store them, and do basic retouching (color correction, red eye removal, color variation, etc.). And since you already have Zoombrowser, your need for another picture catalog software is not a priority, you don’t need another software duplicating the job of the first one.

Don’t buy the downloaded version of either, though. Go get (or buy online) the boxed version. As a bonus, you’ll get the manual (priceless for Elements).

Ray
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 7, 2003
Ray, I’ll only add a few comments to your excellent review.

In my opinion, Photoshop Album is superior to the other browsers (either Canon’s ZoomBrowser, which I have removed from my computer, or Elements’ own browser, which is very simple and straightforward) if you want to start tagging and organizing and cataloging your pictures. That’s its strength; its weakness, as Ray pointed out, is in creating a VCD of suitable quality for TV viewing. It’s hoped by all of us Album 1.0 users that the next version will correct this relatively serious deficiency.

On the other hand, Elements is an excellent program for photo touchup and enhancement, and I’ve used the PDF Slideshow capability quite regularly and am very happy with it. If I personally was faced with choosing one of the two packages, Elements would be my choice, hands down. But you have to figure out what’s most important to you….

Chuck
R
Ray
Aug 7, 2003
Chuck, I’ll second that ! I could not get rid of Zoombrowser fast enough! This idiotic interface (especially more true with incarnation number 4) has got me completely mad. But, I understand that what pleases me might have an adversial effect on others 🙂

And Amazon.com is having a special :
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006ANW9/qid =1060293981/sr=-1/ref=sr__1_etk-software/102-9623290-4000124 ?v=glance&s=software&n=229534

Both for 115$ – I paid 99$ for Elements and I believe 49$ for Album, each seperated… !! It’s a good deal!

Ray
BH
Beth Haney
Aug 8, 2003
By the way, guys, I don’t the blame goes to Album for poor quality images when burned to VCD and viewed on a TV screen. It’s my understanding that the VCD format itself is the culprit, giving output similar to what you’d get if you recorded to a VCR tape – crappy! I can’t give all the citations chapter and verse, but I was doing quite a bit of reading up on this, trying to decide if that format would be enough of an improvement over VCR to warrant trying it. The concensus from almost everything I read was "no." It seems as though the only way to get decent quality images for viewing on a TV screen is through DVD.

And if anyone has information contrary to this, please share it! I’d really like to do this but can’t justify it based on what I’ve learned so far.
R
Ray
Aug 8, 2003
Beth,

VCD is not that bad for still images. The problem is Album’s. It seems to produce picture of a lower resolution and then enlarge them to the point of being pixelated. I have another software to burn DVD / VCD / SVCD, and its VCD / SVCD are superb. I haven’t tested DVD yet because of the lack of a burner for such format on my part 🙂

I remember reading there’s a difference wheter you record still images or movies in VCD format. Album seems to pick the worse and apply it to its VCD. Something, I’m sure, will be fixed in version 2.0

A side by side comparison of Album’s VCD and my other software’s VCD proves that Album has a different quality setting, under the same format.

Ray
R
Ray
Aug 8, 2003
I wonder if someone with Mac, running Virtual PC could use PSA without problems?
P
Phosphor
Aug 8, 2003
Probably, Ray, but it might make you want to throw your mac out the window, since virtual pc is usually really sloooooowwww.
R
Ray
Aug 8, 2003
Barbara… 🙁
I was counting on this for my applications what don’t understand Mac… Even on a Power Mac dual processors? (Santa might generous this season..!)

Guess I’ll be running two computers for a certain time!
P
Phosphor
Aug 8, 2003
Hi, Ray. It depends on several things, including which version of windows you load on it. It’s not unuseably slow, but it’s definitely slower than running mac apps on a mac or win apps on a pc. Some people think it’s great, others prefer keeping a cheap pc if they have apps that must run on pc.

What apps would you be using it for?
R
Ray
Aug 8, 2003
Beth, my problem is that I have 3500 pictures catalogued in PSA… If I loose that, I feel that my sanity will vanish the same way…

Note: somedays, I feel it’s already gone 🙂
R
Ray
Aug 8, 2003
Microsoft Access (and other Office apps, untill I can buy an Office X licence, but mainly Access for now), PSA, Visage Expert PDF (a printer driver to print PDF documents from virtually any application), Novasoft Art Explosion (it’s a catalog of 175,000 clip arts). Nothing really "cpu consumming" like games or complex calculation. I know the limitation of an emulator. And I do have my licenses of Windows 98 / XP. So I could get a Virtual PC with Windows 98 (less cpu consumming I suppose).
P
Phosphor
Aug 8, 2003
Well,there is no Access for mac. Depending on what you need–if you just need a flat database, appleworks can do that. If you need a relational database, eventually you would want Filemaker Pro. The system in X can create a pdf from anything you can print, and I don’t know what to tell you about art explosion. They have it for mac, too, but I presume the file formats are different. What does the windows version use?

And windows 98 is supposed to run the best under virtual pc, as far as I’ve heard.
JC
Jane Carter
Aug 8, 2003
Hi Ray, Don’t bother with Virtual PC, as Barbara said, it is slower than molasses running up hill. I uninstalled it, as it also had a few software conflict on my machine.

I have an old PC that won’t run much, but I can use the Adobe tutorial discs that won’t run correctly on Macs.

But Then there is iPhoto! It is on all new Macs, I have used it on my brother’s eMac and it is nice. Album is OK too, but iPhoto should take care of all our needs.
I too, have thousands of pictures, and plan to scan in a lifetime of slides and old snapshots, so I got an external firewire HD, a LaCie one, and use that for all my originals.
I keep the "Best" and the pictures that I am working on, on the Mac but there they are on the ext HD whenever I need them. That is the easiest way and the cheapest, plus I can take it over to my brother’s house or friends.
Jane
R
Ray
Aug 9, 2003
Barbara: I don’t know what file it uses (I think it’s TIFF). Nothing to be worry though, I’m sure. The problem is the search engine (Novasoft Art Explosion)

Jane : I plan on using what every tools are shipped with my new Mac. I don’t buy software when I don’t have to. I also plan on using the included CD-RW/DVD-R burner for storing my pictures. And showing them to my familly. They were really impressed when they first saw a VCD full of my pictures on the big screen we have (32"). Their jaws will all over the floor 🙂

Ray
JC
Jane Carter
Aug 9, 2003
Hi Ray, The CD burners are great! There are several ways to show the pictures on the TV, but having CDs to give to family is nice. But still, I would buy an external HD if you have as many pictures as we do. My problem is sorting them all out.

A new Mac is getting very close to both you and me. I just have to decide what I need. The new G5s look great, but I wonder if I would really need all that power.

This fall I expect the prices to fall on the older models, there might be some very good buys for Macs for us. Not that my G4 isn’t still doing its job, just looking at OS X and all the included goodies with a new Mac.
I hope that all our Adobe stuff is OK for X, it says so on the boxes, so lets go for it! Jane
P
Phosphor
Aug 9, 2003
I hope that all our Adobe stuff is OK for X, it says so on the boxes

What do you have that’s different from what everyone here is using, Jane? Just curious.

Hi, Ray. Yes, I thought about the file browser, but there are several freeware/shareware cataloging utilities you could get.
R
Ray
Aug 9, 2003
Jane, a rule in computer : always buy the best your money can afford. If you have sufficient funds to buy a PowerMac, go for it. In the long run, your over powered computer will be more likely to live longer, in the sense that when Mac OS XI (a wild guess) comes out, still your over powered Mac will be able to handle it, and you’ll save money by not having to buy a new Mac for several years.

I did that with my last PC and I haven’t upgraded it in more than 18 months, except for the last memory module I added (because my pictures are really fat!)

Ray
R
Ray
Aug 9, 2003
Or, I could return to programming and build my own one (I’m an analyst-programer). I’ve not programmed (personnaly) in years, but doing so again might prove to be fun after all! I do it, however, on a weekly basis at my job, when problems require it.
P
Phosphor
Aug 9, 2003
Well, it depends on what you want to do, Ray. My imac does everything I need it to do very well, and I don’t yearn for a tower, myself. Different ways of looking at the world, I guess.

I’ve noticed that with macs, at least, people tend to be drawn to certain kinds of machines–I have a friend who always has a big noisy high-powered tower, although she mostly uses it to run the same Finale program that I was able to run on my ancient trusty performa with 16Mb of ram and a 770K hard drive. But she just likes knowing that all that power is there whether she ever needs it or not, whereas to me it seems like total overkill. Well, that’s why they make different models.

And if you are on a budget, the software bundle that comes with the consumer models is mighty attractive.

You know Ray, I had my last mac for 7 years before upgrading and that’s not at all uncommon for mac owners. That’s why the sales figures are so misleading–macs are about 3 to 5% of sales, but about 10% of all computer users are using a mac. The rest of us just don’t buy new ones very often.
R
Ray
Aug 9, 2003
But, with each new OS version comes a price in performance, usually. That’s true for every brand. So, my logic was that to stay on top of things, you better buy the most you can buy for now, and have less concerns for the future.
P
Phosphor
Aug 9, 2003
Oh yes, definitely, if it’s important to you to always have the latest and greatest. But my old computer is running system 7.5.5, from 1996 and it works just fine. I’d still be running 7.5.5 if I hadn’t needed a heavy-duty new printer last year. It kind of depends on how important technology is in your life, I think.

The thing is, technology changes so fast now that I’m not sure that anything you buy today is going to last that long if you like to keep upgrading.
JC
Jane Carter
Aug 9, 2003
Good morning Ray and Barbara, This rule really applies to me, I sure don’t need a MonsterMac with all that horsepower, but the ‘want factor’ is my problem.

Its fun, having a "wish-list" of nice powerful "toys".

So lets see where the Apple prices drop to this fall, now that the shiny new G5s have been introduced.

Jane
R
Ray
Aug 9, 2003
Good morning to you too, Jane!

May I offer you a cup of fresh coffee? It’s on the house 🙂

Ray
R
Ray
Aug 9, 2003
Barbara, don’t bother with this. I will find a way to cross that bridge once I get there. Believe me, it’s not the first time I encounter some difficulties. And with my computer background, there’s usually not much that resist me 😉

But thanks for trying, you’re really a dedicated person!

Ray
P
Phosphor
Aug 10, 2003
Hi, Ray. Got an answer for you. I asked if iPhoto could import the EXIF data and here’s the reply I got:

Yes, but I don’t believe iPhoto will display ALL of the EXIF data. The info shown is width and height, file name and size, creation and modification dates, model and make of camera, and 14 exposure items. There are a number of items that it does not show.

There are some programs, EXIF-O-MATIC and PhotoInfo that will show all the data if the image file is dropped on the application.
R
Ray
Aug 10, 2003
Thanks Barbara for this finding! I knew there was a way! 🙂

Ray
EA
Earl Alexander
Aug 20, 2003
I paid $58.95 for Elements 2.0 at Wal-Mart,Blythevill,AR
P
Phosphor
Aug 21, 2003
Jurgen, what kind of DVD writer do you have, and what kind of software came with it?

Thanks for the information and the link, by the way!
JM
Jurgen Mayer
Aug 21, 2003
Beth,

I am using the new TDK DVD writer which is capable of writing +R & -R DVDs.

The software is the Roxio 6 Suite. It came with the light version of the Photosuite 5. Prior to the Suite 6 I tested the full version of Photosuite 5 and it is doing a great job with the pictures.

For writing the VCDs I am using a Plextor CD writer. You cannot write VCDs or SVCDs with the DVD writer.

I was not sure whether it is ok to post other software here.

Jurgen

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections