PS
Posted By
Phil_Schirmer
Mar 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I tagged this question onto another thread and didn’t get any responses there so I’ll try again. When I work with large text over an image (I’m a book designer) the text is fussy to work with. If I move it, pieces of the letters get left behind. Or if I highlight a letter and change it nothing happens until I zoom in or out. I’ve had this problem in Quark in the past and was told it was a memory problem? I’m using a G5 with 1.2 gigs RAM so it CAN’T be a memory problem… Any suggestions?
Thanks, Phil

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

DK
Doug_Katz
Mar 1, 2004
Two questions, Phil:

1. Does the text redraw properly when you refresh the screen?

2. At what magnification does this happen?
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 1, 2004
Is your type left as vector type, or has it been converted to pixels? If the former, is it just one font (if so, I would think a corrupted font which should be replaced), or any? Is this just a screen anomaly (if so, I would think it’s your video card), or does it print the same as what you see?

Neil
PS
Phil_Schirmer
Mar 1, 2004
Well, I just tried again and it does seem to work OK at 100%. Hmmm… if this means that I can’t work with type at a reduced viewing size that’s a problem. Never had any difficulties in earlier Photoshops.

Yes, Doug, it does redraw correctly when I refresh the screen. I just have to refresh the screen every time I make any changes to the type (i.e. larger, smaller, or moving it, which I’m constantly doing as a designer).

Neil – I’ve just upgraded to CS. I wasn’t even aware the text is temporarily in vector. I just assumed it was pixels. (I just click on the T tool and start typing). I guess I’ll have to do some more learning…

Thanks for your replies. For now, I’ll work at 100%.
DK
Doug_Katz
Mar 1, 2004
Some folks are having an issue with text redraw at 50% magnification.
NK
Neil_Keller
Mar 1, 2004
Phil,

Type exists as freely editable vectors until it is rasterized.

Neil
RM
Rustus_Maximus
Mar 5, 2004
Just as an update on this issue…we were having the same redraw problems with text below 100% mag and I found the "Info Palette Issue" thread…

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?128@@.2ccf5200>

Apparently moving the Info palette to the back of the palette window or closing it altogether solves the redraw issue at mags below 100%. At least it worked for us ; – )
It also seems that Adobe has acknowledged the issue and are working on it. See thread for full details.

Good Luck,

Rustus
PS
Phil_Schirmer
Mar 6, 2004
Wow, I am impressed. How the heck someone could figure that out. I just tried it and it works! I move the info palette back behind the histogram and my type problems are gone… I wouldn’t have discovered that in a million years.
Thanks Rustus.
Phil
RM
Rustus_Maximus
Apr 22, 2004
Hi Phil…sorry for the late reply here but haven’t checked this thread in a while. No need to thank me…thank the guys who found that little work around. We were just as frustrated as you 😉 This board serves a wonderful purpose and almost everyone on here is more than ready to help solve a problem and probably the problem already has a solution…you just have to dig sometimes.

Photoshop on brother! Photoshop on!

Rustus

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections