Aug 11, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Bob,

Try deleting prefs.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

B
BobArndt
Aug 11, 2003
The program won’t open so I cannot access Preferences to delete. Also, I have defragmented very recently. BobA
P
Phosphor
Aug 11, 2003
BobA,

IMMEDIATELY after clicking the icon to start PSE, press and hold CTRL-ALT-SHIFT.

A dialog will come up as PSE opens, to confirm that you wish to delete preferences.

Byron
P
Phosphor
Aug 12, 2003
Nancy,

Good point… for my own curiosity, would it be recommended to delete the entire folder, or leave the folder and clear out the contents?

I refer to the folder:

C:\windows\Application Data\Adobe\Photoshop\Elements\Photoshop Elements 2.0 Prefs

Thanks for the reminder.

Byron
BH
Beth Haney
Aug 12, 2003
I take out the whole folder on my computer, and I haven’t broken anything yet!
B
BobArndt
Aug 12, 2003
Byron & Nancy
I sincerely appreciate your help. Somehow these things aren’t working on my system. By the way, I’m using Windows 98SE. I just redefragged and deleted anything that had anything to do with Adobe, including deleting the Prefs and the reader programs. I then reloaded Adobe Photoshop Elements. I still have the same problem. There is obviously something on my system that doesn’t like my PSE.
BobA
P
Phosphor
Aug 12, 2003
There is obviously something on my system that doesn’t like my PSE.

Wouldn’t happen to be Norton, would it?
BH
Beth Haney
Aug 13, 2003
Not just Norton, but are you running any kind of an anti-virus software? And, if so, was it active when you installed Elements?

Sorry this one fell so far toward the bottom!
B
BobArndt
Aug 13, 2003
Beth & Barbara — Thanks for the additional comments. Based on your question, I turned off Norton and reloaded Photoshop. I also set the virtual memory to my control instead of letting Windows control it. I’m not sure if the virtual memory setting is in kilo or mega bytes. I still get the message that there is not enough virtual memory to start Photoshop.
BOBA
RC
Richard Coencas
Aug 13, 2003
Bob,

Try this. Use the macro to delete prefs. Control-Alt-Shift on launch. When the dialog comes up saying delete settings, keep holding down Control and Alt while you click yes. After a few seconds you should get a second dialog letting you change scratch disks. Set the primary to something other than startup and see if that clears up the problem.

Rich
T5
tpo_53
Sep 10, 2003
Help when I get this message: Could not start Adobe Photoshop Elements because the volume Windows is using for Virtual Memory does not have enough free space…

Im running Win98SE, RAM256Mb, C disk 850Mb free

TIA
S
Suzette
Aug 25, 2004
my photoshop won;t open. I receive a message stating not enough virtual memory. How moght I fix this?
thanx, uzzi
J
Jim
Aug 25, 2004
"Suzette" wrote in message
my photoshop won;t open. I receive a message stating not enough virtual memory. How moght I fix this?
thanx, uzzi
A bigger swap file would help. More PS temp space would help. You might need to defrag the disks.
Jim

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections