MM
Posted By
Merrill Mack
Aug 24, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
My image off the digital camera comes in at 26.667 x 35.556, resolution 72. Document size 14.1 MB What is the best way and in what order to bring the file down to 800 x 700, res 72, document size 250 kb?

Thanks

Merrill Mack

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

LK
Leen Koper
Aug 24, 2003
Quite easy: set the crop tool to 800×700 at 72 ppi. That’s all. The document size will depend on the format you choose.

Leen
NS
Nancy S
Aug 24, 2003
or 700 x 800
B
BobHill
Aug 24, 2003
Merrill,

Be sure to save your original image as is to the format of your desire (usually PSD is best in Elements) before cropping and saving it at the lower crop size and 72ppi. That’s OK for screen use, but if you ever wish to print the image, you’ll want all of the original pixels to get a good print. And remember it’s the total number of pixels (600×600) that’s the image, not the 72ppi. The ppi value just sizes the pixels for printing, not viewing on a monitor.

Bob
O
OldnSenile
Aug 24, 2003
For my own learning process, I would like to (for the most part) restate the comments in this thread, as I understand them, and ask for needed correction of any of my mis-statements.

Merrill’s camera file comes into his computer at 1920 x 2560 pixels, 14.1 MB. That is based on use of 26.667 x 35.556 as the size in inches that the file would print at 72 dpi (or pixels per inch).

Working on a copy of the file, by resampling downward, he can reduce the size to 600×800, or 700×933 pixels without cropping, or by cropping the long dimension, to his stated 700×800 pixels.

I would estimate the file size to be reduced in proportion to the total number of pixels, to 1.38 MB for a 600×800 pixel file, before compressing to a JPG. Assuming a 1.38 MB uncompressed TIFF starting file, I believe he would need about a 60% Quality JPEG compression to achieve his 250 kB JPG file size objective.

OldnSenile
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 25, 2003
OnS – it depends to a large extent on the image, i.e., images with large areas of a single color will compress to a smaller JPEG file than those with lots of discrete areas of differing colors. The Save for Web dialog is a great place to experiment with different image dimensions, compression qualities, etc.

Chuck
NS
Nancy S
Aug 25, 2003
OldnSenile,

You’re neither!
O
OldnSenile
Aug 25, 2003
Chuck: Thanks. I’ll try the "Save for Web", but have to load my new PE2 first. Seems I’m always slow to install a major application because of the potential hassle if things don’t go quite right.

Nancy: Thanks, but I think that beyond 70 can qualify as "old" (though I was surprised to find so many "young-sounding" seniors in this forum.) Senility is more difficult to define. I seem to have problems remembering names (people and things), and chores for my wife, although, as I think about it, that has probably been true for the last 30 or 40 years.

OldnSenile
AM
Al Millstein
Aug 27, 2003
OnS –

When I start my Octogenarian Section of this forum there will be a special membership exception for you 70’s+, but only if you can clearly outline your senility qualifications.

You say you can’t remember chores for your wife; I, on the other hand can’t remember the chores she has for me, which is far preferable.

As for Elements, I can spend a month mastering a feature, then go back to it a week later and it seems completely new.

Al
P
Phosphor
Aug 27, 2003
Ah, but isn’t it fun meeting those new people every time we go out?! 🙂
NS
Nancy S
Aug 27, 2003
OnS and Al,

I perceive from your posts that;

your minds are active
your sense of humor is evident and charming
you can laugh at yourself

glad you two are on the forum 🙂
NS
Nancy S
Aug 27, 2003
eww, see what I did…how I wish we could strangle those little emoticons….<sigh>
O
OldnSenile
Aug 29, 2003
Al Millstein: Thanks for the early invitation to your "Octogenarian Section". You make me feel so young! hmmm, YoungnSenile?

Nancy S : Thanks for the kind thoughts. I would love to be able to live up to your impressions of us.

Bert Bigelow: Thanks for the kind words, but "catching up rapidly" to my age, scares me a bit. The only way for that to happen, is for me to stop getting older, and we know what that means. (As my mom used to say, "Getting old is better than the alternative.") (Just kidding, of course. I know you meant "catching up" to my current age.)

OldnSenile
BB
Bert Bigelow
Aug 29, 2003
OnS,
It’s an old joke. I used to tell my kids that they were a lot younger than me, but they were "catching up." What I meant was that soon we would all be adults. Now that they’re both over 40, they have reached the adult stage, but some people aren’t to sure about me!
Bert
BB
Bert Bigelow
Aug 29, 2003
Rats. I want to edit the "to" in that last sentence, and I can’t. GRRRRRR!
CS
Chuck Snyder
Aug 29, 2003
Bert, I’m with you – I want my 30 minutes of free editing back….

🙁

Chuck

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections