CA
Posted By
Charlyce Altom
Aug 30, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am attempting to crop and enhance a photo from a picture CD from film I had processed at Costco. After I get the work done on the photo and try to save it, a pop-up says I can’t because it’s locked and I need to unlock it in Windows Explorer in properties. There is no place to do that. Help!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

P
Phosphor
Aug 30, 2003
Is the picture still on the CD? If so, that’s your problem. The images need to be moved from the CD to your hard drive before they can be edited and resaved.

If you’ve already done this and are still getting the notice that it’s locked, you’ll have to wait for a person who speaks Windows more fluently than me. I know it’s pretty simple to do, and I think it involves right clicking, but I can’t remember the sequence. (My "native tongue" is Mac.)
PD
Pete D
Aug 30, 2003
Charlyce,

I believe that if you save pictures from CD to hard drive that they will be read only.

Once on the hard drive go to the folder where stored and right click the image and see if the "read only" is checked. If it is just uncheck it.

Pete
PD
Pete D
Aug 30, 2003
Charlyce,

Sorry, forgot to say "right click" and then click on "Properties", then look for the read only.

Pete

Once on the hard drive go to the folder where stored and right click the image and see if the "read only" is checked. If it is just uncheck it.
Pete

R
RoyLinda
Sep 5, 2003
People:
I have tried the unset read only. It works fine for a one time fix. I would like to unset the read only permanent. How can this be done??
Thanks
P
Phosphor
Sep 5, 2003
Roy, when you say you want to "unset the read only permanent" – do you mean when you change an image from read only it only works once on that image? Or do you mean you have to do it for each image you move? If the later, that can’t be done. As far as I know, each image will have to have this property changed.
PL
Paul L UK
Sep 6, 2003
You cant cahange the images from read only whilst they are on your CD, as it is a read only medium.

As Beth & Pete said, to change anything they must be transfered to a R/W media first, then change the attributes.

(Unless you save as a different name, then you would apply your own attributes. Haven’t tried yet.)

Paul
JD
Juergen D
Sep 6, 2003
I believe that just saving to a different folder, even with the original file name, should not be a problem and not require any attribute change. Of course, you cannot save back to the CD and the read only attribute may be set when copying to the hard drive as a precaution against overwriting the original, which would make sense.

Juergen
CA
Charlyce Altom
Sep 10, 2003
Thanks for all your help. I finally figured out that I need to copy to my harddrive, then to another CD, then make the CD "writeable", after which I can make all the enhancements I want! However, when I take the CD to have the images printed at the photo lab, well, they turn out a little flat and sometimes grainy. I have saved them at the same resolution from the original CD, but I still don’t think the results are as good as prints from the negatives. Any more suggestions?
P
Phosphor
Sep 10, 2003
Charlyce, I’m not a good person to be explaining all of this to you, but I think there are different kinds of CDs that can be created at the time you have film developed. If I’m not mistaken, the straight "Picture CD" is about bottom of the line in terms of quality for future prints. I don’t remember this coming up recently on the forum, but you might want to do a Google search and see if you can get more information. I suspect that could be why you’re not very happy with the prints you get from CD images.

Edit: Wow! I found what I was looking for and in time to do an edit of my message. This was posted by Chuck Snyder quite a while ago, but I think it’s relevant here:

"Joe, I’m sure you know this, but for others who haven’t had any experience with Kodak CD’s: the Photo CD to which Richard refers is NOT the same thing as the Picture CD that’s an option with processing at the local Walgreen’s, Eckerd’s, etc. The Photo CD provides a high-res image (actually, I believe it provides multiple resolutions) suitable for post-processing and printing;
the Picture CD gives relatively low-res images best suited for e-mailing.

Don’t be fooled! Here in Houston, there are not that many places listed that do (or get done) Photo CD’s, so you have to shop around."

Maybe Chuck will be around a little later to update this.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 10, 2003
Charlyce, I haven’t used a Picture CD lately, having switched to all-digital, but when I was using them, the images were 640 pixels by 480 pixels, which really isn’t suitable for printing much more than a 2 inch by 3 inch photo, if that. You’ll be much better off getting the lab to make prints from your original negatives, which probably have the equivalent of 4000 pixels per inch, a very high resolution. Picture CD photos are fine for e-mailing purposes, but that’s about it.

There is a professional scanning process called Kodak Photo CD that yields a digital picture image of resolution suitable for printing; however, the cost to put slides or prints on a Photo CD in this area is $2 per picture – pretty high for most of us.

Chuck

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections