B
Posted By
buz
Sep 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have really made some significant progress thanks to you folks regarding the image quality from my camera. Setting the exposure setting a bit low and eliminating EXIF data have worked wonders.

I was out shooting some Macro TIFF images this afternoon and I see in the downloaded files there is a correspnding .thm file for each .tif file.

Anyone know the purpose of the .thm file? Can they be discarded?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

R
Ray
Sep 8, 2003
They are thumbnails file used by your camera.

Ray
B
buz
Sep 8, 2003
so once the download to computer is complete, the are trashable.

Thank you
R
Ray
Sep 8, 2003
I would imagine, as my camera deletes them as well.
BG
Byron Gale
Sep 8, 2003
Buz,

I don’t know what brand of camera you use… mine is a Sony.

When I shoot in TIFF mode, the camera creates a JPG duplicate. This is used in-camera to review the shot, as the camera does not actually display the TIFF.

Perhaps the equivalent is happening in your camera, but with a THM instead of JPG.

Byron
B
buz
Sep 9, 2003
Thank you – I’m sure the .thm is as has been suggested – a thumbnail for the camera to use for preview purposes.

I inadvertently used the .thm images for a slide show in QPict and was amazed at how pixelated my ‘tiffs’ were <G>

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections