EG
Posted By
Evelyn Greenberg
Sep 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have seen previous threads with some suggestions, but have not seen a solution to getting the slideshow into the order wanted without very tedious dragging of the very small type image names in the very small box!
I have tried putting the images in 001, 002, etc order but they still scramble when the list to ‘select’ comes up.
If this is a bug with Elements who do we report it to?
I have had much better luck with iPhoto, but I can’t send that to Windows users! Help, Evelyn

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
Phosphor
Sep 8, 2003
I know this is hard to describe, but could you go into a little more detail about the source of the images you want to include? I just ran a small one with numbered images, and it worked just fine. (Well, it worked just fine if you don’t count the fact I have to do a Command Q to get control of my computer back after the "show" is done!)
EG
Evelyn Greenberg
Sep 8, 2003
I have the slides on my desktop (Mac OSX) in one folder and the filenames of each slide starts with 001 thru to 253 — this is the largest one I’ve done yet. When I open the folder on the desktop it shows in a list or as icons in neat order 001 to 253. When I select that folder for the slide show and select all the slides they appear in the pdf slideshow dialog box in a random order. That slideshow dialog box is small and it is very tedious to reorder the whole group!!
I did do that earlier when I had a show with 110 slides and that took forever! Hope you can help.
Evelyn
JH
Joe Henry1000
Sep 8, 2003
(Well, it worked just fine if you don’t count the fact I have to do a Command Q to get control of my computer back after the "show" is done!)

Beth, have you tried the ESC key? That quits slideshows on my Mac.

Joe
P
Phosphor
Sep 8, 2003
Oh, yeah, now I remember! I think you had to tell me that before, too. Heh, heh. So go read your e-mail. I made a coaster! But I also asked you a very important question. 🙂
P
Phosphor
Sep 8, 2003
Evelyn, go to this thread and look at post #6. There is an anomaly in the way this PDF slideshow orders pictures.

<http://www.adobeforums.com/cgi-bin/webx?7@@.1dea28d0/6>

I didn’t have any trouble with the way about 60 randomly selected images ordered themselves. I did select them individually, though. Are you by any chance doing a Select All?

Since mine seems to be working without a problem, I think we’re going to have to hope somebody else comes along with a different idea!
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 8, 2003
Beth and all: My experience with the Slide Show on a PC (sorry, we’re Macless here…) is that I select (using Shift-click)
a group of ordered photos in a folder and bring them into the Slide show dialog, and, lo and behold, something of biblical portent happens: the last becomes first and the first becomes last! Very annoying and only can be corrected by using your one-at-a-time method…

Chuck
P
Phosphor
Sep 9, 2003
I saw that in that last thread, but that doesn’t happen for me! 001 was first, and I selected it first, too. This is strange.
EG
Evelyn Greenberg
Sep 9, 2003
Beth and all,
It does work if you select them one at a time, but even if I select 5 at a time they come in backwards (!) 5 comes first! This is impossible with 253 slides!
I don’t understand why a select all won’t bring them in in order. It must be a bug. Who do you report one to????
Until I can do this I’ll have to put all the images edited in Elements into iPhoto to arrange them and run a slideshow. That does give me music, but I can’t do different transitions and I can’t save the file for a non Mac user in pdf format.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 9, 2003
Evelyn, you can rearrange the slides in the Slide Show once you’ve selected all the slides and have the list in the dialog box. It’s tedious, though – dragging and dropping the errant ones into place. But if there’s any order that you can detect (like my first-for-last swap) it’s somewhat easier. I agree that it’s a deficiency and a nuisance to boot.

Chuck
P
Phosphor
Sep 10, 2003
Evelyn, which OS are you using? I was using OS 9.1 when I was experimenting, and I found I don’t even have a Select All feature. It took me around 35 seconds to Shift>Click to highlight 140 images, and then they went into the PDF slideshow window in the exact order I wanted them. Granted, clicking 253 times isn’t the ideal solution, but if it gets you the format you want, it ain’t bad! 🙂
EG
Evelyn Greenberg
Sep 10, 2003
Beth,
I am using OSX so that may account for some differences. I really did a shift>click to get all 253 selected at once. It’s really a bug in the program. Makes no sense.
I’d do it if I could do at least 5 at a time and have them appear in order, but if I select more than one at once it comes in in reverse of what I want.
back to iPhoto!
Thanks for the suggestions.
Evelyn
DS
Dick Smith
Sep 10, 2003
the
last
becomes first and the first becomes last! Very annoying and only can be corrected by using your one-at-a-time method…

Chuck,

That has happened to me many times in XP, particularly, when renaming of choosing a group of files.

Try this, the next time you select a group of files begin with the last file you want and then shift/click of the first file. I’ll bet you’ll find the order is correct.

Dick

Using M2, Opera’s revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
PA
Patti Anderson
Sep 10, 2003
Has anyone tried the batch renaming in PE before creating the Slideshow? In the File menu> Batch processing…

I have been doing batch renaming using Irfanview, mainly because it’s faster (and I’m still new to PE), but the files always stay in order when I create a Slideshow from them in PE.

Patti
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 10, 2003
Dick, thanks – I’ll give that a try!

Chuck
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 10, 2003
Dick, YES! That fixes it for me! Thanks again!!

Chuck
EG
Evelyn Greenberg
Sep 10, 2003
Chuck and all,
Sorry, starting with the last and shift-clicking to the first doesn’t work either. The first was 002 and the last 153 out of 253. Maybe that works on Windows machines since you go to start to shut down!!!JOKE
Evelyn
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 10, 2003
Evelyn, it’s a rare day around here when we learn that a PC may in fact do something slightly better than a Mac…

🙂

Chuck
P
Phosphor
Sep 10, 2003
You guys do deserve a break every now and again, Chuck. After all, you have to put up with all that virus stuff. 🙂

I meant to check the PDF slideshow on my Jaguar drive last evening but never had time. I’ll try and remember to do that later this evening or tomorrow.
P
Phosphor
Sep 10, 2003
FWIW, the same thing happens to me in 10.1.5. I don’t see anything to do to change it, so, Beth, if you find the magic solution, please let us know.
DS
Dick Smith
Sep 11, 2003
Dick, YES! That fixes it for me! Thanks again!!

Chuck,

Shucks, twern’t nothin’ t’all. Glad I could finally contribute something to this forum. Small payback for all the help I’ve gotten.

Dick

Using M2, Opera’s revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections