Where to order enlargements in quantity?

LM
Posted By
Lou_M
Nov 18, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
OK, this topic has probably come up before, but I did a forum search for ‘enlargements’ and ‘mail order’ and nothing really jumped out at me.

I want to print a bunch (say, 50) of our holiday photos (a collage created with Elements, of course) at 5 x 7 so I can mail them out. It seems like it would be slow and expensive to do this on my printer (HP DeskJet 970cse). I can order them from iPhoto at 99ยข each, but I was hoping to get it a little cheaper since I’m buying in quantity. I don’t want to order those premade cards (like at natcam.com) since everthing–the photo and the greeting–will be done in Elements.

Can anyone recommend a place to send PSD or JPEG images to get printed? I don’t necessarily need the cheapest; good color and good service are important, too.

Thanks!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 18, 2003
I was really happy with the prints I got from the Costco-Kodak site, but there isn’t a huge price savings over what you’ve found from iPhoto. I didn’t find a "bulk" price, and 5 x 7s are 89 cents each. I’m a Costco member, so I don’t know how the price varies if you just go to the Kodak site.
JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 18, 2003
Ofoto does a good job, but they charge .99 as well. You might try Sam’s Club. I have had them do a few for me, and they do a pretty good job. I do all of the cropping and color correcting before I take the disk to them.
C
cwheeler
Nov 19, 2003
try adorama.com I believe they charge .69 for 5×7.

I have received my first order back from them and have placed a second order.
LM
Lou_M
Nov 19, 2003
Thanks, everyone, for the feedback. I’ve got a bunch of leads–now it’s time to make a decision.
LM
Lou_M
Nov 20, 2003
OK, I did an experiment locally.

There’s a photo shop chain here that will do 6×8’s for the same price as 5x7s. So I took a full-frame picture from my 3 megapixel camera, and I calculated this would be 180dpi when printed.

After tweaking it in Elements and saving it as a TIFF on a CD-R, I had it printed. Now I realize 180dpi is at the limit of what many people consider acceptable, but it looked very different compared to a printout from my HP DJ970 printer. The photo store version looked almost like my LCD screen–lots of teeny, but very square, pixels. The HP printout looks, well, smoother somehow.

This is no big deal because it just means that I need to design our Christmas cards at 300 dpi. But it’s odd that the photo store printout looks so different from my home printer. If anything, i thought it might look better. Is this generally true?
LM
Lou_M
Dec 8, 2003
In case anyone’s curioius, I edited my images in Photoshop Elements, composed a 5×7 card in Illustrator, exported it at 300 dpi/ppi, tweaked it again in Elements, submitted it online to ofoto.com and . . .

it came out FABULOUS!
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 8, 2003
I’m glad to hear that Lou. I decided a while back that when I had photos to print that I wanted to last, I’d rather have them done by a commercial place. I like having choices, so I’ll add ofoto.com to the list of possibilities.
LM
Lou_M
Dec 8, 2003
Oh, and I should mention that getting to ofoto.com was a long and winding path. Ah, the sad story begins like this:

After getting feedback here, I found this wonderful place down the street (oh my gosh–it wasn’t online!) that’s a division of Ritz Camera. They said they could do 6×8’s at the same price as 5×7’s. So I got a test print done (as described a few posts back) and it had this weird pixelated, LCD-like look to it, which I chalked up to my using a relatively low resolution (180 dpi/ppi). No problem, so my wife and I worked on a 300 dpi version.

After tweaking it to absolute perfection (well, I’m not all that creative, but it looked fine by me) I take it back to the store and find out that–oh, that price was for prints from *film*. Eh? Yes, sir, if you want prints from a digital image it’s about twice the price. <sigh>

OK, I’m the world’s worst procrastinator (it’s not unusual for me to send out holiday cards in, say, February) but I insist I’m not going to do that this year. So I resolve to print them at 5×7, even though they were designed for 6×8. I know I can do that from iPhoto.

So, I convert my PSD to a TIFF and a JPEG and import it into iPhoto. I’ve got 1-click enabled, so I click and . . . get an error. It starts to upload the file but errors out. OK, I’ve done this before, it must be something wrong on their end.

I will not send out cards in February, I will not send cards out in February. . .

So I come back to this thread and decide I’ll try Costco as Beth recommends. I have to be a member, but I’m not yet. What if I try to send the order and I’m not a member? What does it take to join? How long does it take to process? What if they get my order while they’re still processing my membership–will my order end up in never-never land, and be delivered in July? Ack! I couldn’t take the uncertainty this close to the holidays. Just bite the bullet and sacrifice the 10ยข per print and go to ofoto, I tell myself.

So I go to ofoto, but I’ve got to sign up for that, too. No membership fee or anything though. I’ve blown so much time on this now, I just need to get this finished.

I will not send out cards in February, I will not send out cards in February . . .

It was after all this that I finally got my cards back. Ofoto.com was very quick: I ordered 2nd day service, uploaded my image on Wednesday morning and had 50 copies by Friday afternoon delivered to my house. Not bad.

Next year, I think I’ll start working on my holiday cards in, oh, July. ๐Ÿ™‚
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 8, 2003
Congratulations Lou! Ah, now you WILL get them addressed before February, wont’ you? ๐Ÿ™‚
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 8, 2003
Here is another suggestion, when I bought PSE 2 last year, I got a coupon for Shutterfly. So I sent some pictures to them for prints. They came out very well, they did a beautiful job on them!
The prices were very good too, can’t remember, but they did have a volume discount. You have to use .jpg and you have to have them a size and resolution that they recommend. When you upload them, there is a chart below each picture which tells you if that picture is OK for which size.
Club Photo has a similar service and good pricing too. Both are very easy and not convoluted. Jane

(I also used Shutterfly to make my full size Holiday calendars. Very very pleased with them.) J
LM
Lou_M
Dec 8, 2003
Jane: thanks for the suggestions. More choices for our arsenals.

Beth: Party pooper! ๐Ÿ™‚ How did you know that was my next step in procrastination? You must be a victim yourself, or live with a victim. Or you’re talking to my wife.
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 8, 2003
I live with a guy like you – wouldn’t let him near the Christmas cards or we’d never get any out! Mine are going in the mail today; and yours? ๐Ÿ™‚
LM
Lou_M
Dec 8, 2003
Truth be told, I filled them out last night while sitting in front of the fireplace.

Now, about those stamps I need to buy . . . ๐Ÿ™‚
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 8, 2003
Beth,

I shouldn’t have let my husband near the Christmas Cards … I wrote them and left them in heap on the table …. HE posted them !!!! (snag was it was only the 28th of November)

Men ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 8, 2003
I allowed my husband the privilege of putting rubber bands around them and taking them to the post office. They should have gotten there about an hour ago. ๐Ÿ™‚
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 8, 2003
Just wanted to say i truly enjoyed reading this thread. Please Lou, keep telling stories…you’re great at it !
LM
Lou_M
Dec 9, 2003
Thanks, Jodi. You’re the first person who’s ever told me that!

And, uh, the husband-bashing side thread was certainly an unintended consequence.
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 9, 2003
re; husband-bashing; ya, let’s not let that happen again. ๐Ÿ˜‰ ๐Ÿ˜‰

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups ๐Ÿ”ฅ

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections