AM
Posted By
Al Millstein
Sep 10, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
For as long as I’ve been doing Elements, I’m embarassed to ask.

I’ve created an oval shaped image. I want to insert it into a web page as an oval picture. I can’t get rid of the background. I select the areas surrounding the oval and cut it, hoping to have transparency surrounding the picture. Whatever I do-manipulating layers, after I convert it to a Jpeg and insert it into the web page, it comes out as an oval on a white background.

OK! I know you’re loving forgiving people.

Al

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

PL
Paul L UK
Sep 10, 2003
I think, going on past posts, that saving as .gif will do the trick.

(If I’m wrong, I’m sure it will be pointed out) 😉

Paul
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 10, 2003
Paul, you are correct. Gif is the format to chose for keeping transparency ( check ‘transparency’ option ), however, gif only supports a limited amount of color so your jpeg image will in fact appear degraded. The best work around is to keep it in jpeg format and apply the same background around your oval that is on you webpage if at all possible.
AM
Al Millstein
Sep 10, 2003
Jodi, I think the problem with that is the background space on the picture will interfere with adding additional material to the web page. Maybe I’m overly concerned about that.

The undesired background is rectangular in shape around the oval. I can try cropping the oval as closely as possible and try to match the two background colors.

However, it seems to me there must be a better solution to eliminate everything surrounding the oval. Isn’t there any such thing as a non-rectangular picture?

Al
P
Phosphor
Sep 10, 2003
No, Al, unfortunately there isn’t anything that’s non-rectangular. This is the spot for the "all images are made up of pixels" explanation, but you’ve heard that one before, I think! If you truly need that space around your oval to be transparent, the gif becomes your only alternative – at least using Elements. I can’t speak for all other applications out there, though. It’s possible another program could get you what you want. Elements is the only one I’m familiar with, and Elements deals in squares and rectangles.
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 10, 2003
Al, yes go ahead and try to get that rectangle around your oval as close as possible. You can get as close as a one pixel border on edges and then you just have a little in the corners to deal with. Just use the eyedropper tool to get the sample of the color code in your wepages background to match it up. OR, use the GIF setting: GIF 128 dithered, selective,diffusion, raise dither on slider bar to 100%. This might work for your image depending on how much color/detail it has.
BG
Byron Gale
Sep 10, 2003
You can get a ZERO pixel border on the edges if you File->Crop while the oval is selected… presuming you have Feather set to 0.
JF
Jodi Frye
Sep 10, 2003
Yes, understandably but we were trying to get it to save as a Jpeg with minimal border for webpage use. Jpeg does not support transparency so we needed a fragment of a square behind the oval.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections