DM
Posted By
david_michael_2
Apr 24, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have received tiff files that someone else scanned in which the pixel aspect ratio was incorrect the visual was extreemly condensed in regards to width. I had to change to square pixel aspect to restore proportions. I need to find out what could have caused this distortion in order to instruct the person sending how to avoid this problem. (the files were black & white tiffs, some of the files were huge – 2.8 meters x 50 centimeters at 400 dpi.
I was unable to open the files on PC, although I know that they were scanned and created on PC, I had to open them on a mac, and then only a few of them opened.

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

G
goodidea1950SPAM-SPAM
Apr 24, 2005
Wouldn’t those files be between 1/2 to 1 G?
Photoshop won’t create a file that big and I
was figuring in black and white, not grayscale.
Is that right?

wrote in message
:I have received tiff files that someone else scanned in which the pixel aspect ratio was incorrect the visual was extreemly condensed in regards to width. I had to change to square pixel aspect to restore proportions. I need to find out what could have caused this distortion in order to instruct the person sending how to avoid this problem. (the files were black & white tiffs, some of the files were huge – 2.8 meters x 50 centimeters at 400 dpi. : I was unable to open the files on PC, although I know that they were scanned and created on PC, I had to open them on a mac, and then only a few of them opened.
GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
Apr 24, 2005
David,

the distortion could be a result of a fax compression (CCITT) for monochrome images (only black dots).

Please tell us the purpose of this task. How can somebody scan a 2.8m x 0.5m image ? Was it already rastered (halftoned) ?

Best regards –Gernot Hoffmann
DM
david_michael_2
Apr 25, 2005
Gernot,
Thanks for responding to my question.
The drawings which are huge engineering drawings were scanned on a machine called KIP, but I am not quite sure that I remember the name correctly – as I am on holiday and will check on my return next week. The drawings are line drawings and do not need rasters. I think I should check the facts 100% first and get back.
but in the meantime with this limited info you can think of something – I will be grateful. All the best
David
GH
Gernot_Hoffmann
Apr 25, 2005
David,

thanks for the feedback. Instead of pondering about ‘why is it wrong ?’ I would tell the scanner company ‘save as compressed 1-bit TIF’. This is lossless and the compression ratio is probably high.
Personally I would use 8-bit grayscale because the drawing would look less jagged (400dpi is not very much for monochrome). White areas are cleaned by increased contrast.

Best regards –Gernot Hoffmann
G
goodidea1950SPAM-SPAM
Apr 25, 2005
I am not familiar with your use of the word
raster. To me a raster and bitmap are the
same thing. Do you mean vector?

wrote in message
: Gernot,
: Thanks for responding to my question.
: The drawings which are huge engineering drawings were scanned on a machine called KIP, but I am not quite sure that I remember the name correctly – as I am on holiday and will check on my return next week. The drawings are line drawings and do not need rasters. I think I should check the facts 100% first and get back.
: but in the meantime with this limited info you can think of something – I will be grateful.
: All the best
: David

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections