Icons get screwed up in OSX/PS7.0.1… any fix?

KS
Posted By
Keef_Snow
Apr 7, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Does anyone else have this OSX/Photoshop problem?

OSX.2.8
Photoshop 7.0.1

When I save an image in Photoshop the PS document icons in the same Finder window get all screwed up: wrong icons, switched icons, sometimes they even take on the icons of other applications! For example in the screenshot below all the documents are totally different pictures – but after saving one of them in Photoshop they all take on the icon of the saved document:

<http://home.earthlink.net/~fjord/screwed_up.jpg>
<http://home.earthlink.net/~fjord/screwed_up.jpg>

Is there any way to fix this? The only way I can get the real icons back is to log out and back in..! Hardly convenient!

*@(!*@#!!!, is this frustrating!!!

– Keef

….

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 7, 2004
Did you Repair Permissions recently?

Use Cocktail to run the Cron Scripts, Repair Permissions and Prebind your System.
GB
g_ballard
Apr 7, 2004
I was plagued by this in through 10.2x.

I havent seen it since since I initialized and went to 10.3…
C
CindyDan
Apr 8, 2004
I downloaded Macaroni (shareware) from tucows.com and set it to automatically do all its repairs, and all those problems went away. Now I load Macaroni on every new Mac I set up! It repairs permissions every night, and does weekly and monthly unix repairs automatically. Saves a lot of headaches in OSX.
KS
Keef_Snow
Apr 9, 2004
This workaround was provided to me, and it solves the problem, at least for me:

"Why don’t you save the files without using PS’s ‘image preview’ option? It’s a superfluous thing on Mac OS X anyway. Actually, it’s worse than superfluous: PS creates a bitmap thumbnail; Mac OS X will create a fully anti-aliased thumbnail on-the-fly with live icon resizing/anti-aliasing capability.

Turn it off and forget about it.

You just need to set the view options for the folder you intend to save the image files in. Open the folder (or just click on the Desktop, if that’s the one you’re concerned about), pull down the View menu, and go to Show View Options. Check "Show Icon Preview."

This works perfectly for me, hope it does for you!

– Scott

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections