PK
Posted By
Peter_Kleine
Feb 12, 2007
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I want to create some custom file/folder icons using PSCS2 for use in the OSX desktop environment. Unless this is just a bad idea to begin with – just asking for system trouble – what would be the best pixel dimensions, color mode and file format for MacOSX icons?

Thanks in advance for all comments.
Peter

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

S
SuperMacGuy
Feb 12, 2007
currently icons are 128×128 px. Rumor has it OS X 10.5 will be up to 512x512px. Always RGB, plus you can have alpha. You can use photoshop to generate the icon. I believe you can even have it layered, but ‘maximize compatibility’ must be on in your PS prefs. OSX developer tools has a program you can then just drag the PS file onto, the app is called "icon composer". There is also a program (older) called iconographer that will aid in icon making, if you are gonna be serious about it. Also the Iconfactory.com has a program, icon builder, that will make Mac OS and Windoze icon files and works like a PS plug in. There is no way to ‘natively’ save an icon from photoshop. Though it can make its own ‘preview icons’ those are not really the best looking, usually just a square with re-sampled detail.
PK
Peter_Kleine
Feb 12, 2007
Wow! I pulled up to the full-service pump.
Thanks for the info.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections