EG
Posted By
Ed_Gerson
Apr 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Major problems using Panther & Photoshop CS & Epson 1280 (not the silver model).

The GUI with dot per inch and DYI color profiles within Epson does not exist anymore with Panther. GIMP runs the show.

How can I print Photoshop images with accurate color when using Panther? I have created a new User, reinstalled drivers from CD plus voodoo drivers from Epson’s website.

Apple says they’re not in the printer business, Epson says de-GIMP Panther and reinstall.

Love Photoshop CS, want to print this stuff!

Ed

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 12, 2004
Ed – remove the GIMP Print driver, and install the Epson driver (both are available in Panther).
EG
Ed_Gerson
Apr 13, 2004
Thanks Chris – my problems are over. I got rid of the Epson 1280 and am happily productive again with an HP 7960. That hell is finally over.

Ed
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 13, 2004
Ed – you didn’t have to get rid of the printer, just install the proper drivers!
EG
Ed_Gerson
Apr 13, 2004
You have the distinct disadvantage of being a rational person.

I went through the drivers, the downloads, the reinstalls, the new User, etc. in Panther. Nothing worked, especially Apple’s tech support. Library, Printer Setup, blah blah. "We are not in the printer business" says Apple. "We are not in the GIMP business" says Epson. I love the corporate avoidance behavior, not really, just kidding.

I love my PowerBook G4, but its like a car without a jack.

Its a long story, and actually the HP7960 was the best choice in a few years printer-wise. No hassle software installation, it prints on paper what was is on the screen, something neither my Epson 900, Epson 2000, nor my Epson 1280 ever did.

So, all is for the best. Thanks, its nice to get responses from good people. And you were most kind to do so.

Take care –

Ed
C
CygnusX1
Apr 13, 2004
my problems are over. I got rid of the Epson 1280 and am happily productive again with an HP 7960. That hell is finally over.

drastic move.

The 1280 and Panther and Photoshop work perfectly.
has been from day one.
G
graffiti
Apr 13, 2004
The 1280 and Panther and Photoshop work perfectly.

Yup. Mine seems very happy.
L
Larryr544
Apr 13, 2004
Mine works great also!
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 13, 2004
Hey – if you don’t want the 1280, I can find it a good home 😉
EG
Ed_Gerson
Apr 14, 2004
Its fine for non-archival and art stuff. Apple finally figured out the problem. It may be me. It would help to have an instruction book with Panther. Its amazing Apple went "library" on us, some people pick up on it faster than others. In my opinion, the printing function was far more friendly in OS9, but I’ve said enough.

Thanks – Ed
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 14, 2004
Ed – as I said: the problem was that you installed the GIMP Print driver instead of the Epson driver. Both are available for the 1280 in Panther.
EG
Ed_Gerson
Apr 14, 2004
Yep. That’ll do it.

Ed
JB
Jonathan_Blocher
Apr 16, 2004
I’m new to GIMP, so could one of you walk me through the process of making sure i’m using Epson’s driver rather than the GIMP?

My classroom has 30 eMacs running 10.2.8 printing to a Stylus Photo 1280 via an ethernet print server. i use my PowerBook running 10.3.3 over the same network at school, and to a Stylus Photo 1200 with an Axis ethernet print server at home. I expect we’ll be upgrading the eMacs to Panther this summer, and want to make sure all will be well afterwards.

Thanks!

Jonathan
CC
Chris_Cox
Apr 16, 2004
When you create the queue for theprinter, you have 2 choices: the Epson driver, and the GIMP Print driver. Just pick the Epson driver.
EG
Ed_Gerson
Apr 17, 2004
Isolate one of your thirty eMacs. Plug the Epson printer to that one printer only. Install Panther.

Ed
EG
Ed_Gerson
Apr 17, 2004
My email wasn’t clear. Just set up one eMac with one Epson printer, add Epson, Epson driver. Panther supposedly wipes out the hard drive it goes onto durint installation.

Ed
EG
Ed_Gerson
Apr 17, 2004
That’s it, I’ve been on the computer way too long this week. Honest. Good night.

Ed

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections