SC
Posted By
sue cara
Sep 22, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Let me just preface this with…I am very new to this: I have some photos that were taken in landscape mode. I want to change the orientation so I can print them out in portrait mode for picture frames. What are the steps that I would need to take to achieve this..? Thanks for your help.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

P
Phosphor
Sep 22, 2003
I’m assuming you realize some cropping is going to have to be done in order to change the orientation, right? OK. Let’s say your current image is 5 in wide and 7 inches high. Select your Rectangular Marquee tool, and then in the Option Bar, choose Fixed Size, and set the dimensions to (example) 4 in wide and 6 in high. Click on the picture, and you will get a 4 X 6 area surrounding by the famous "marching ants." Set your mouse down anywhere within the selection and move it around until it’s encircling the area you want to keep. Once it’s where you want it, go to Image>Crop. That will give you a 4 X 6 portrait image.

If you have a 5 X 7 landscape and want to make it into a 5 X 7 portrait, that will take more fiddling and may also result in the need for even more of the original image to be cropped out. To do that, you need to go to Image>Resize>Image Size and continue to decrease the image resolution (still with resampling off if at all possible) until the side that had measured 5 inches goes to something slightly in excess of 7 inches. The width will also expand proportionately. Once you have your new image in the larger size, use the method described above for cropping but with 5 and 7 used in the Option Bar.

And always remember first to make sure you’re using a non-lossy format like TIFF or PSD for any editing and also to always work on a copy of your original!

Good luck, and if this didn’t answer your question fully, feel free to repost.
JD
Juergen D
Sep 22, 2003
Sue,

It depends on what exactly you are trying to print (image size, paper size). But one thing you can certainly do, is to rotate an image by 90 degrees and that way print it *sideways*. After rotating go File>Print Preview and see how the image fits on your paper.

Juergen
JD
Juergen D
Sep 22, 2003
Sue,

You do the rotation by going to Image>Rotate>90 degrees left (or right).

Juergen
P
Phosphor
Sep 22, 2003
Juergen – after I posted my epistle, I realized she could have meant something as straightforward as how to rotate an image. I’m glad you came back with those instructions. 🙂
JD
Juergen D
Sep 22, 2003
Beth,

Now I can admit it: I never read your instructions until after I posted. I was on the newsreader and had overlooked your post. When I realized that I hadn’t duplicated something you had written, I just let it stand… 🙂

Juergen
B
burut45
Sep 22, 2003
Sue, you have good advice from Beth and Juergen. I often shoot portraits of individuals in landscape, because I control the camera more securely in horizontal vice vertical. Then to print in erect position, I rotate, easy. But if you crop and resize, be aware that some image distortion can occur, like squeezing the face to narrow shape. As long as you work with copy of the original, you can fix the copy by Undo and rework until it looks right. Save the altered image as a copy with different name before anything else is done. I lost a night’s work by not doing the Save before trying to Print! Burr
SC
sue cara
Sep 22, 2003
Hi All,
Thanks for all the responses….just to clarify, I don’t just simply want to rotate it (that much I was able to figure out…:-). As it is a portrait on a person, I want to be able to print it in vertical mode. Thanks for all the advice. I will give it a try this evening and hopefully I will succeed.
Thanks again,
Sue
PD
Peter Duniho
Sep 23, 2003
"Beth Haney" wrote in message
Juergen – after I posted my epistle, I realized she could have meant something as straightforward as how to rotate an image.

It was great of Juergen to add the comment he did, but I think you read the original post correctly, since she specifically says that she wants to display the photos in portrait frames (which I take to mean a frame oriented in the portrait direction, since many frames can be displayed either way).

I think your epistle was probably very helpful to her, especially the second paragraph (the first seems to deal with just cropping a portrait image to a smaller portrait image, which isn’t what she’s trying to do, I think).

Pete
P
Phosphor
Sep 26, 2003
When I start to print a picture I get this message.
(Unable to start driver for HpHipm09.exe)
I click Ok on this message twice and the picture will go ahead and print. Adobe Photo Elements 2.0 and HP 1315 Photo Printer.
JM
Jack McDonald
Sep 29, 2003
Why when printing to my HP DeskJet 970Cxi, using "best" mode, but only with some and not all scanned photos , do I get regularly spaced horizontal black lines across the print? If I print the photo on plain paper using normal mode there is no problem.
Any advice would be appreciated.
CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 29, 2003
Jack, just on a hunch, check the resolution number in Image<Resize<Image Size; if the number has a decimal fraction, it may not print correctly. To correct, just round off to the nearest whole number. May not be the probelem, but worth a check…
MJ
McDonald, Jack
Sep 29, 2003
Thanks, Chuck. I saw this suggestion in a previous thread and tried it, but the problem persisted.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections