ZR
Posted By
Z R
Sep 25, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I aksed this question here before and have not received a satisfactory answer. Will try again:

Scanned to PE-2 two pages of a brochure.

Now I want to create a .PDF file, which when opened will show the first page first and then, scrolling down, the second page (the "Thumbnails" on the Acrobat dispaly should show 2 seperate images, so that any one could be chosen to view, seperate from the other).

Someone heer offerd that I should open a large Canvas in PE2, bring the two sacnned pages into that Canvas and then convert to PDF. That works but I end up in .PDF with a large "canvas" with the two pages on it… That is not waht I want ! – I want the two pages to be dispalyed seperatey (though in the same .PDF file).

Could anyone suggest a way?

Thanks.

ZR

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

RC
Richard Coencas
Sep 25, 2003
What you want is a multipage PDF. In Elements the only way to create a mulitpage PDF is to create a Slidshow (file>automation tools>pdf slideshow). It will launch in full screen in Acrobat Reader, but if you hit esc you can view it the way you want.

Otherwise you would need to use a full version of Acrobat or another app that can create multipage PDFs, like inDesign.

Rich
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Sep 25, 2003
Well, I’ve got two suggestions that are platform and software-dependent, and that involve going outside of Photoshop Elements. The platform dependent *and* software dependent one is this: Fire up your favourite word processor on a *Mac* with OSX, set up your pics exactly the way you want them (i.e. on whichever number of pages you want, etc), and then select print from the file menu, and "save as pdf." Pretty simple, yes, but I should warn you that not all software out there will properly display these pdfs. If your intended audience uses Macs or Acrobat Reader, then there shouldn’t be any problems. However, I know that MS Word running in Windows won’t properly display pdfs made this way, for some reason. It gives everything a red cast. (my guess is that it’s a problem with MS Word, actually, but I wouldn’t know for sure)

The second option is if you don’t have a Mac: First, download a ps printer driver. There are some freely available on the net. In particular, there is one for some flavour of LaserWriter that’s been around for years, and it is specifically meant for Windows users who want to print to ps. Anyway, find something along those lines and install it. Call it "my ps printer" or something, so you’ll know which one you need to use. Set it so that it automatically saves to files rather than tries to talk to some printer that you don’t have. Now, once you’ve done that, you need to hunt around for a free ps to pdf converter. They exist, although I must admit that I’m not sure if they exist for Windows. I think they do. (personally, I always did this in Linux, so I know for sure that if you look around for something called psutils, you will get a utility called ps2pdf which will do what you want, and yes there are ways to get these Linux utilities to run in Windows, but that’s a whole other newsgroup). After you’ve done that, and have familiarized yourself with its use, fire up your favourite word processor and set things up as I described before. Now, print the file but be sure to choose your ps printer. It will then ask you for a file name (because you set it to always save as a file). Enter something and let it go wild. Now, the problem with saving to ps (ps = post script, in case you didn’t know that) is that it’s HUGE. I mean, anything you save as a post script file will be absolutely huge in terms of file size. It will also take a very long time to process. So, you guessed it; if you don’t have a lot of resources, you may run into problems. The act of compressing it into a pdf will be very resource-intensive, too. However, if your computer can handle this, then once you’ve got the ps file, run your converter on it, and voila, you have yourself a multi-page pdf that *should* open in any version of Acrobat Reader. (not sure how MS Word munges it, though)

HTH

Vicky

PS
If you have a Linux machine, you don’t need to download a special printer driver, as most programs made for Linux will print ps by default (in fact, some don’t even give you a choice).
JH
Jim Hess
Sep 25, 2003
It seems to me that Adobe has given Photoshop Elements users just enough capability in creating PDF files so that we can create portable slide shows. It is my opinion that if your goal is to create a "real" PDF file like you have become accustomed to reading then it is going to require you to have a full copy of Acrobat.
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Sep 25, 2003
You don’t need full Acrobat to do what the original poster wants.
ZR
Z R
Sep 26, 2003
Thanks to all of you. But especially to Vicky who must have taken a vacation to respond in such length…

I am on the PC. I have an old MAC from… 1982 but it is not in use. I loved tha MACs, yet was "forced" to betray apple years ago…

I do have a full version Adobe though. Am not sure how to create a multipage Adobe document using the images I scanned to PE2.

ZR
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Sep 26, 2003
OK well if you have the full version of Acrobat, then just import your images directly into a new document.

And no it didn’t take me very long to type up what I typed before. I used to make pdfs this way all the time, enough so that it became a reflex (and thanks to my highschool typing class, I was able to spew forth my message fairly quickly). 😉 We actually have a full version of Acrobat, but I personally don’t use it as my needs are so simple that I can make do with what I already have on my machine. My hubby uses Acrobat for various things for his work (he needs to make up much more complicated pdfs). He doesn’t use it so much to *create* pdfs as he does to *modify* them once they’ve been created.
VB
Vicky Bilaniuk
Sep 26, 2003
Oh as for getting help with Acrobat, maybe there is a forum dedicated to it. Anyone know? (sorry, I can’t help you myself, as like I said, I don’t use Acrobat. I asked hubby if it is like a word processor and he said yes, that it allows you to open up documents and start typing in them, and you can import images and so on. If it is at all similar to a word processor, then just import one image, insert a page break somehow, then import the other image)

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections