Before and After’s with same size image!?!

P
Posted By
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m starting to compile photos of before and afters of dental work I do for patient education purposes.

If I take a picture of the front six teeth on one day, then a week later I take a picture of the same teeth but don’t stand the same distance or use the same zoom setting so the object is now smaller/larger on the second picture…

How would I crop/resize/fix and then print a 4X6 photo of the two sets of teeth so that they are roughly the same size? Therefore, when someone views the before and after, the orientation of size and scale isn’t too different.

Does that seem clear what I’m getting at?

Rick In Houston.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

CS
Chuck Snyder
Sep 29, 2003
Rick, you’re probably going to have to ‘eyeball’ this, although you could turn on the grid to help you out. What I would do is open both images in your workspace, then crop the one shot from closer to 4×6 using the Crop tool with settings width 6 inches, height 4 inches, and resolution say 250. Once that’s done, do the same with the one taken from farther away, which will have more cropped away. On the second one, you’re trying to get the teeth to be about the same size as on the first one you’ve cropped, which is where the ‘eyeballing’ or use of the grid might help. If you find you’ve cropped too much or too little, you can go backwards in Undo History and try again. Once you have the crops right, you’re ready to print because both images will be 4 inches by 6 inches by 250 ppi. Give it a try and see how that does for you.

Chuck (also in Houston!)
KL
Kenneth Liffmann
Sep 29, 2003
Rick,
I suggest that you screw your camera on a bracket fitted with a bar that allows you to remain equidistant for the before and after photography. In that way you would not have to go to the type of manipulation that Chuck has delineated. I believe that you may be able to find such a device from a vendor or else construct one yourself quite readily.
Ken
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
Rick,

I think Kenneth’s got the best idea. The size of your teeth is determined by the resolution and total image. Although you can change the resolution, it’s not going to be an accurate scale except by eyeball comparing. You can also do a drag n drop of the second by selecting and dragging into the first image file, then enlarging to fit, but you’ll also be doing a faux resizing (not resampling) and in many cases would result in losing quality of the image. The Drag n Drop (or Copy/Paste) would result in the second image being in it’s own layer though, which could be a handy way to view the difference in some cases. It would be a way to keep all views in the same file. But be sure to keep it as a PSD (or TIFF) so layers can be maintained.

Bob
P
Phosphor
Sep 29, 2003
You might just want to make a tape mark on the floor to show where to stand. It may not be 100% exact, but at least you won’t have even more equipment in the room that way.
PB
Paulsen, Bill
Sep 29, 2003
You could print boxes that are 1cm or 1" square onto address labels, and then stick an label onto the patient’s nose each time you take a photo. This could be an easy reference for comparing two photos.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections