Why does 20 lines of text take up over 1 megabyte of space?

AB
Posted By
Alasdair Baxter
May 9, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am running a PC with Windows 2000 and I have Adobe Acrobat 7 Professional and Adobe Photoshop 7 installed.

I wanted to fill out a form which I downloaded from the Internet. I "printed" it to a PDF file and it occupied 32 Kb of space.

I could, however, find no way to write text into the blank spaces in Adobe Acrobat so…

I opened the file in Photoshop 7 where I was able to enter the text and place it in the spaces where I wanted using the space bar to move it horizontally and the "leading" control plus the enter key to move it vertically.

However, when I saved the completed form from Photoshop 7 as a PDF, it occupied a staggering 1.39 megabytes.

I cannot see why adding about 20 lines of text increased the size of the file by over 1 megabyte so perhaps some learned person can tell me a better way of doing what I set out to do or tell me how to reduce the file size of the completed form to a more realistic figure.

Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263

"It’s not what you say that matters but how you say it. It’s not what you do that matters but how you do it"

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

C
Corey
May 9, 2005
At what resolution did you save the PDF file? As for filling out a form online, for it to work, it must be filled out online…unless you weren’t planning on sending it.

My guess is you saved the file at 300 ppi. I also bet as you entered text into each blank space, a new Type layer was created.

Peadge 🙂

"Alasdair Baxter" wrote in message
I am running a PC with Windows 2000 and I have Adobe Acrobat 7 Professional and Adobe Photoshop 7 installed.

I wanted to fill out a form which I downloaded from the Internet. I "printed" it to a PDF file and it occupied 32 Kb of space.
I could, however, find no way to write text into the blank spaces in Adobe Acrobat so…

I opened the file in Photoshop 7 where I was able to enter the text and place it in the spaces where I wanted using the space bar to move it horizontally and the "leading" control plus the enter key to move it vertically.

However, when I saved the completed form from Photoshop 7 as a PDF, it occupied a staggering 1.39 megabytes.

I cannot see why adding about 20 lines of text increased the size of the file by over 1 megabyte so perhaps some learned person can tell me a better way of doing what I set out to do or tell me how to reduce the file size of the completed form to a more realistic figure.

Alasdair Baxter, Nottingham, UK.Tel +44 115 9705100; Fax +44 115 9423263
"It’s not what you say that matters but how you say it. It’s not what you do that matters but how you do it"

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections