FG
Posted By
florida_guy
Oct 8, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed

O.K. I’ve got a picture of my mom standing between a tree and some flowers. I’ve cut the tree out of the picture and saved it as a separate image. I am trying to enlarge that image so it could be used as a full screen wall paper for a 640×480 screen and a 1024×768 screen.

I select the image, go to the menu image | resize | image size width and nothing happens.

The other problem is that I don’t have the proportions exactly right. If I select width 640 it makes height 478. If I select height 480 I get width 648.

I only got that close by pure luck. How do I tell that dotted line thingy to keep the proporations to 640 x 480?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

FG
florida_guy
Oct 8, 2003
I’ve got a bunch of pictures open in browse mode. I double click on a thumb nail to open it up in that bigger pop up window. What I’d like to do is just "scroll" from one picture to the next without having to double click on each thumb nail.

I’ve tried page up and down, up arrow and down arrow, right arrow and left arrow. Nothing works. In PhotoShop Album I can do this with right arrow and left arrow. In ACDSee 3.0 (which I’m replacing) I can do this with page up and page down.

Can this be done in Element?
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 8, 2003
Florida Guy,

It is best to start a new thread for each question. This keeps things more organized and easier for future people to find answers.

I answered part of your question in your first post.
FG
florida_guy
Oct 8, 2003
It is best to start a new thread for each question.

O.K. Thanks I will do that instead. Look for the new threads shortly.
BH
Beth_Haney
Oct 8, 2003
You’re running into the limitations created by the "aspect ratio" of your image. That means you can’t take, for example, a 3X5 image and change the dimensions to 5X8 without creating distortion, because you’d be trying to expand three inches on one side and only two on the other. In that case, you’d need to crop out a part of the image so you could get your new size.

I think we better go back to square one, because I’ve never tried to make wallpaper from an image. I think you’re also using "pixels" of an image to equate to the "dpi" resolution of a monitor. Even if it looks like you’ve accomplished what you’re trying to do, I’m not sure it will look the way you want it to when you’re done.

Hold on!! What you need is for someone to come along who has experience in doing this, and it ain’t me. 🙂 I think there are little programs that can do what you want, and, depending on the OS you’re using, you might even already have one on your computer.

Give us information about the tree – its resolution and its physical size in inches right now. Also give information about the OS you’re using.
BG
Byron_Gale
Oct 8, 2003
NG,

In a word, no.

In PSE, when you have an image open, it is in real-time edit mode in it’s own document window. When you view the images in the File Browser, and double-click one, that’s what’s happening. You cannot scroll from one image to the next within a document window.

Short of exporting a PDF slide show, the File Browser is the closest thing PSE has to being able to see your images without having them open to edit.

The two apps (PSA vs PSE) have different core purposes.

Byron
SR
Steven_Reno
Oct 8, 2003
Florida

I use my own images all the time for wallpaper. All I do is crop the image using the rectangular marquee tool set for fixed proportions. Use 3 to 4 for the proportion. Crop the image if needed and save. Your OS will do the rest. In Windoz go to properties…walllpaper…other or something like that. Hope this helps.

Steve

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections