Posted By
Paul_Dalton
May 14, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hi all, Newbie alert.

I need source a new video card for my computer. I use my system primarily with Photoshop 5 and Painter 7 although I am seriously considering upgrading both of these applications to the latest versions.

I would like to use the card with dual displays and I have found many cards available that offer this feature. There are however many other features offered by the newer cards (DX9 features, alpha channels 128/256mb VRAM etc). Can Photoshop take advantage of any of these features? Can it use 256mb Video RAM for example?

Is there a preferred card for use with Photoshop?

My system has an AthlonXP64 3000+, 1Gb Kingston PC3200 RAM, 200Gb SATA HDD and NEC Dual Layer DVDRW.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Paul.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

B
BobLevine
May 14, 2005
Photoshop is a 2D application. Anything more than needed to drive the resolution and refresh rates of your monitor won’t be used.

FWIW, I’m using a Matrox G400 Max. It’s got dual heads and only 32 megs of video RAM.

Bob
I
ID._Awe
May 14, 2005
Sounds like a Matrox Pahelia to me.

I use a Matrox G550 with 32 mb of RAM, you really don’t need more for PS. Haven’t had a problem running Premiere when I need it.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections