JM
Posted By
Jeffrey_M._Ellis
Oct 26, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I recently replaced Adobe PhotoDeluxe 3.0 w/Photoshop Elements 2.0. Now when I use PSE to scan images on my CanoScan 620U, the image gets scanned, but PSE freezes when I attempt to "Save" or "Save As". The menu dims, and attempts to close windows fail (I have to use control+alt+delete to exit PSE). PSE works for all other uses (digital images downloiaded from camera, internet, etc.) as does the scanner, using its own scanning software. I really prefer using PSE to scan. Anyone out there have any suggestions? Note: I have uninstalled and reinstalled PSE and my scanner software. Dell Dimension PIII/Win98SE/192MRAM.

Thanks.

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

NS
Nancy_S
Oct 26, 2003
Jeffrey,

Your amount of RAM is a bit low I’d say for this resource hungry program (though I know the requirements only call for 128M). I wonder what resolution you are scanning at and if the resulting files are just too large for your system with what you have open at this time. You might consider purchasing another stick of memory, prices are quite low. Also, see if it makes a difference if you close all other running programs. Come back at let us know.

Nancy
JM
Jeffrey_M._Ellis
Oct 27, 2003
Thanks for the suggestion. My only follow-up question would be why PSE can handle large files downloaded from a digital camera or the web, but not the scanner. I will add more RAM, and hope…
BS
Bill_S
Oct 28, 2003
I had a CanoScan 620P. It had ‘issues’ with my Compaq PC using Win98SE. It would freeze up in PhotoDeluxe. If I remember correctly it also had problems with Dell machines and Win98SE. Look at Canon’s web pages to see if there is a fix offered. In my case I had to change the parallel port to bi-directional. Since your scanner has a USB connection the fix will be quite different.
NS
Nancy_S
Oct 28, 2003
Jeffrey,

What is the size of the file which freezes PSE when you try to save? It is entirely possible that images from your scanner are a lot larger than files from you camera (my camera doesn’t produce 100 Meg files, but my scanner can).

Nancy
TT
trent_taylor
Dec 20, 2003
if elements goes to calibrate when you open import for the scanner, try to just ok it. if it scans then just close the scan, and when you scan again if the calibration doesnt take place it should allow you to make a selection area then save. had run into this on a cannon 650U it seems to be related to the calibration taking place prior a specific selection scan. if you calibrate do not make a selection, just accept the scan. then dont save that and go right back in to import and the selection should be possible.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections