Posted By
Robert_P._Stevenson
Nov 1, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Folks –
I hope someone can help. I know this topic has been discussed with Windows XP but I can’t seem to find an answer for my particular difficulty. I acquired Photoshop Elements bundled with my new computer but it won’t open. I get an error message stating, "Could not complete your request because of missing or invalid personalization information". Since I got the software as a bundle without disks or CDs, I found the serial number by going into the registry. I am sure (mostly) that I have entered the number correctly in the registration window. I also cannot uninstall and reinstall the software as it was a bundle. I am running Windows ME. Thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

JA
JoAnn_Amerson
Nov 1, 2003
I can’t solve the program failure but I would advise you to find the retailer who sold you a computer with software installed but no disks. What if it worked but for some reason you had (or wanted) to reformat the had disk. Then what? You’d be ………. well, up a well-known creek without a paddle.

My suggestion would have been to go back to the retailer but since Win ME hasn’t been sold for some time now, I think you have no alternative but to buy the program if youwant to use PSE2.

wrote in message
Folks –
I hope someone can help. I know this topic has been discussed with Windows
XP but I can’t seem to find an answer for my particular difficulty. I acquired Photoshop Elements bundled with my new computer but it won’t open. I get an error message stating, "Could not complete your request because of missing or invalid personalization information". Since I got the software as a bundle without disks or CDs, I found the serial number by going into the registry. I am sure (mostly) that I have entered the number correctly in the registration window. I also cannot uninstall and reinstall the software as it was a bundle. I am running Windows ME. Thanks!
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 1, 2003
Robert,

You found a 24 digit number, correct?
RP
Robert_P._Stevenson
Nov 1, 2003
Thanks for responding, Nancy. Yes, it is a 24 digit number listed in the registry as the serial number for the software. I just find it odd that the serial number in the registry won’t open the software.

Joann, you make a good point. The manufacturer is Sony. I find it irksome that I will probably have to buy software that is already preloaded but, as you point out, ME has not been sold for some time and might be part of the problem.

Thanks for the assistance.
JA
JoAnn_Amerson
Nov 1, 2003
I’ve never heard of a major brand computer that came with PSE but that means squat. I used to work for Gateway and they gave you the CDs for anything installed. Okay, you got a restoration Cd for Windows but applications – you got the disks.

Contact Sony’s tech support. Give them your serial number. They should be able to look your system up and see everything that was pre-installed. We even had a way of determining what was shipped and what wasn’t. They may have a similar capability. I know it’s after the fact but chances are it’s a toll-free call – it’s worth asking.

wrote in message
Thanks for responding, Nancy. Yes, it is a 24 digit number listed in the
registry as the serial number for the software. I just find it odd that the serial number in the registry won’t open the software.
Joann, you make a good point. The manufacturer is Sony. I find it irksome
that I will probably have to buy software that is already preloaded but, as you point out, ME has not been sold for some time and might be part of the problem.
Thanks for the assistance.
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 2, 2003
I know Sony sold many Vaios with Elements preinstalled and with extremely poor documentation and performance. It’s not much consolation, but you’re not the first person to complain of having problems getting their copy of Elements to work. If you look around – especially at Amazon – you’ll find that Elements can be bought for around $50. The retail version not only includes a real CD (!) but a manual, too. Contacting Sony might help. It’s hard to tell, because so many people who post here with problems never post again and let us know what the outcome was.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections