AH
Posted By
andrea_harbour
May 10, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I have just gotten a G5 and I think photoshop crashes about once a day at least… I have heard in the past that if your programs are crashing its a bad font issue… but when i read about panther fonts it says that it weeds out the bad fonts… So what gives?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

GB
g_ballard
May 10, 2004
I like to explain it like this:

<http://www.gballard.net/psd/troubleshootpurgepsd.html>
CJ
Cindy_Johnston
Jul 19, 2006
Neil,

Haven’t had a chance to try FAP yet. Got my new memory and it kicks ass.

My newest problem though is that at least 3 times this week, since the 10.4.7 update, a few files crash PS immediately with no reason given. With two different clients maybe I could get two of every four files to open. With the first client the only difference between the files that opened and those that didn’t was fonts were present in the ones that wouldn’t. The font is Edwardian and it came with the Suite, didn’t it? With the second the fonts were the same in each (so the client says).

I received four PS7 files today (from a new client) that crash PS. ID says they’re 1200 dpi (ranging from 150 to 200 MB each). Surely that doesn’t matter does it?

Cindy
CJ
Cindy_Johnston
Jul 19, 2006
I can’t draw a text box since the update–crashes immediately, and I still can’t export a PDF–Program Error.

Cindy
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 19, 2006
Cindy,

Did you trash or reset your Photoshop preferences?

Also, one of the caveats the regulars here will present is to always boot from your System disc 1 and run Disk Utility. Then run DiskWarrior the same way. You do this both immediately before and after any upgrades.

If you create and use a new user, do you have the same problem?

Neil
CJ
Cindy_Johnston
Jul 19, 2006
Neil,

Trashing prefs did nothing. This was a clean install to 10.4.7, did I still need to run disc utility from the System Disc after? I could have done it, I just don’t remember. I still want to do a Hardware Test on the new ram, might as well run Disc Utility at the same time. I don’t have DiskWarrior.

How do you create a new user account?

I’ve seen the video card mentioned in a few other threads, could that have anything to do with it and would the Hardware Test diagnose it?

Cindy
R
Ram
Jul 19, 2006
Neil,

always boot from your System disc 1 and run Disk Utility.

That is indeed the right (and only) way to Repair Disk, as the disk has to be unmounted for the repairs.

On the other hand, you can Repair Permissions on the startup disk.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 19, 2006
Cindy,

Disk Utility and DiskWarrior, both immediately before and after, as I said.

Alsoft’s DiskWarrior is an indispensible tool. It complements, but does not replace, the maintenance procedures of running Disk Utility for disk and permissions repairs.

To set up a new user account, [Apple menu] — >System Preferences –> Accounts –> [+ but you may have to click on the lock icon first].

Crashes could be caused by currupted files, bad RAM, corrupted or duplicate fonts, corrupted preferences, dying hard drive, bad OS install, bad Photoshop install…

Can you better describe when Photoshop crashes, any error messages, anything in particular that was being worked on at the time of the crash, any common applications that are simultaneously open?

Rereading your earlier posts:

With the first client the only difference between the files that opened and those that didn’t was fonts were present in the ones that wouldn’t.

This would seem to indicate duplicate or corrupted fonts.

Neil
CJ
Cindy_Johnston
Jul 20, 2006
Neil,

Can you better describe when Photoshop crashes, any error messages, anything in particular that was being worked on at the time of the crash, any common applications that are simultaneously open?

There were no messages, PS crashed immediately after dbl clicking any of the offending files. I almost always have ID, AI, Mail and Acrobat open at the same time. No 3rd party software at the moment.

For the text box issue, I started with a blank 5 in. x 5 in. cmyk doc., selected the text tool, clicked & dragged to make a text box, it hanged a couple seconds & crashed.

For the PDF issue, I started with a blank 5 in. x 5 in. cmyk doc., got as far as the "Preserve PS editable capabilities is incompatible with earlier versions…." then got a program error.

Are you a PS creator, Neil? You seem well versed. I’ve been begging the boss for DiskWarrior and I need more ammo.

Right now I think the bad ram hosed PS and I should re-install the Suite.

Cindy
CJ
Cindy_Johnston
Jul 20, 2006
Reinstalled PS. The files open and I can now draw a text box but still can’t save a PDF.

Cindy
B
Buko
Jul 20, 2006
Can you save the PDF in a new user?
CJ
Cindy_Johnston
Jul 24, 2006
Buko,

Yes, it works in a new user. What does this mean? What can I do to make it work in my original user account?

Cindy
B
Buko
Jul 24, 2006
If it works in a new user something in your old user is corrupt.

I would start with photoshop prefs.

Cmd+Shift+Option on start will reset the prefs.

If that does not do it.

A simple Archive and install of the OS then an update to the most current version should fix things. Before doing an A & I you could try running the 10.4.7 combo updater to see if that will fix the problem.
CJ
Cindy_Johnston
Jul 24, 2006
What’s the combo updater?

Cindy
B
Buko
Jul 24, 2006
It combines all the update fixes in one update.

you download it from Apple.com

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections