MS
Posted By
Melody_Schumaker
Aug 4, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am having a problem with Photoshop CS crashing when creating a new document from history via the history palette. I am running it on a G4 with OS 10.3.2 and 50% of memory alotted to it from the 1 Gb RAM installed. I have tried trashing preferences, including finder preferences. The crashes usually occur after having used the program with a file for about 5 minutes. It does not matter if the file is large or very small. It also does not matter if Photoshop is the only program running at the time. At first I thought it may be a memory problem, but the crashes continued even after I increased its memory. Please note that I also tried to create a keyboard shortcut for this palette in case it may have been a palette problem. It still crashes.

Is this possibly a bug? If not, what might be causing this? I never had a crashing problem with 7 while using this feature. Might this require a reinstall? Any assistance would be greatly welcome.

Melody

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 4, 2004
Try Quitting out of Photoshop; Repairing Permissions and trashing your Photoshop prefs. next time that you launch it by holding down Cmd. Option Shift when you launch.

Also where is your Scratch Disk? It is best if you can put it on a second internal HD rather than your boot drive.
MS
Melody_Schumaker
Aug 4, 2004
I have tried the repair permissions as well as trashing the preferences. I will try the command + option + shift and see if that works.

The scratch disk is the main disk. Only one disk on the machine and no partitions.

Melody
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 4, 2004
How much space do you have on that HD?

Also, run Cocktail which will clean out caches and do several other important maintenance tasks for you.
<http://www.macosxcocktail.com/>

You might try running DiskWarrior too.
MS
Melody_Schumaker
Aug 4, 2004
The hard drive is a 60 GB hard drive. I will try out Cocktail and see if it fixes anything. Thank you.

Melody
MS
Melody_Schumaker
Aug 4, 2004
OK, just as an update, I tried Cocktail, as well as the other suggestions. It still crashes precisely after doing 10 steps in the history palette. No matter what I try, it is still crashing. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Melody
R
Ram
Aug 4, 2004
How much of that 60GB remains available on the drive?

Have you tried to hunt down a corrupted font?
MS
Melody_Schumaker
Aug 4, 2004
The hard drive has 32.56 GB open.

No corrupted fonts seen.

At this point, would trying to uninstall it, then reinstalling help?
B
Buko
Aug 4, 2004
We are upto OS 10.3.4

before doing anything else I would update my system.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 4, 2004
You may have bad or incompatible RAM.

Try removing any non-Apple RAM that you have added to your machine and see if that helps. Then swap the RAM that you removed with the original RAM and see if the situation changes.
MS
Melody_Schumaker
Aug 4, 2004
OK, OS is updated. The software still crashes at the exact same point each time.
GB
g_ballard
Aug 4, 2004
Completely Purge PS, do all the maintenance, all the updaters, Spare User:

<http://www.gballard.net/psd/troubleshootpurgepsd.html>
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 4, 2004
"At the same point" makes me think that this is either a RAM problem; or a scratch disk problem; or a problem with the tenth step in the History palette.

Also, try disabling most of your fonts in your Font Management program and replacing the Helvetica and Times .dfonts with PostScript versions of the same typefaces.
MS
Melody_Schumaker
Aug 4, 2004
I took out all the RAM installed except for the original 512 one that came with the machine. The program still crashed at the same point. So unless the Apple RAM is bad as well, I don’t think it is the RAM.

I also tried it using a Shared User account and it still crashed. I did try uninstalling the program, installing the program again, repairing permissions, and restarting. Once I restarted, I worked on a new file and it crashed – same point in the steps. Just for grins and giggles, I tried one without the step of changing Hue & Saturation which is the last step I would do before creating the new document from history and it worked. I then tried it with the Hue & Saturation change, and it crashed.

Here’s the interesting part. I had someone else try replicating the same problem on their machine using Photoshop CS. Right at the point they changed Hue & Saturation, then clicked on create a new document from the history palette after 10 steps, it crashed as well. Different machine, different file – same result.

Could someone else try this as well? There may be a problem with the program at this point if it can be replicated. In the meantime, I will stay away from that step and try some work arounds. Thank you.

Melody
R
Ram
Aug 4, 2004
Melody,

Is there any particular reason you are not using a new Hue and Saturation ADJUSTMENT LAYER?

Pardon me for being so ignorant, but, why save a new document from the History palette in the first place? I’m just trying to understand your workflow to see if that can yield a clue.
R
Ram
Aug 4, 2004
Incidentally,

So unless the Apple RAM is bad as well,

It’s possible.
GB
g_ballard
Aug 4, 2004
OEM Apple ram is just as likely to be bad as any other vendor ram, but Ram is very unlikely to error consistantly, as you wrote.

I also tried it using a Shared User account and it still crashed.

Either your install is flaky, or you found a bug…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 4, 2004
Melody:

I would be happy to take a look at your action if you can you save your Action as an .atn file and email it to me at:

cameraart at rcn dot com

[Remove the spaces and substitute at and dot]
MS
Melody_Schumaker
Aug 5, 2004
Just to update everyone, I checked out a file after returning to work this morning to see if it is just a problem with Hue & Saturation, then clicked on the create new document under the History Palette. It immediately crashed. So it does not seem to be a combination of actions or a certain number of actions, rather the use of the Hue & Saturation command then clicking on the create new document.

As far as the work flow, the file is adjusted using hue & saturation, then a new document created so that it can be changed to an LAB file. This allows me to sample the Lightness channel to make any adjustments I need to the original.

Melody
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 5, 2004
Melody:

I tried using Hue & Saturation, then clicking on the "create a new document" button on the History Palette and Photoshop CS crashed immediately here too.

I have never run into this one before because I normally use Image Menu>Duplicate (Control F13 on my machine) followed by a "Save As" to save intermediate versions of an image.

It seems that you HAVE discovered a real live Bug!
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 5, 2004
I just reproduced it as well.
Yes, that is a real, live bug in CS.

Congratulations.
(now I gotta go find the cause)
MS
Melody_Schumaker
Aug 5, 2004
Thanks Chris. For all the lines of code that make up this program and the fact that it functions as well as it does, I still think you guys do a heck of a job. (No, I don’t work for Adobe, but I have used Photoshop from the very first day it came out.)

Melody
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 6, 2004
Wow – it was a pretty edge case in the file code (because the new document had no file on disk associated yet, but did have a title, trying to resolve the "file" caused an infinite loop).

It’s already fixed for the next release.
L
LRK
Aug 6, 2004
Chris, I respect your work ethic…

Why can’t some of the other teams be this conscientious!
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 6, 2004
The issue at hand is finding qualified beta testers.

hmm.
GB
g_ballard
Aug 6, 2004
Chris Cox) the next release.

?! 🙂
SJ
Stevie_J_V
Aug 6, 2004
Exactly G, when can we get our grubby little mitts on it Chris???
CC
Chris_Cox
Aug 6, 2004
Sorry, but we can’t talk about unannounced products or versions of products.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 6, 2004
Now, Chris, about that History Palette …………

;~O
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 6, 2004
It’a all about mind contol or lack there of – or is it, not just right in front of you?

Tell me about you illness Ann and I’ll see what medication we can give you to make the pain go away. – or is it, just too Painen Diaz…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 6, 2004
Mike:
Only Chris, and his team, have access to the right medication for this one.
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 6, 2004
are you sure?

hmm?

what do I actually know about Ann…
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 6, 2004
It should be quite apparent by now that what you know about Ann is that she is a heavy user of the History Brush and History Snapshots;
and the lack of two sets of sliders in the History Palette is driving her over the
edge…
…|
…|
…|
< SPLAT >
MO
Mike_Ornellas
Aug 6, 2004
If that is the only thing that bugs you, than I should of been dead a very long time ago.

like pre layer days.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 6, 2004
Hmmm…

Double entendre?

I am not going there……

:~)

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections