JE
Posted By
James_Earl_Jones
May 13, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I go into the file browser and view the images, what are the pad locks?

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

PH
Paul_Hokanson
May 13, 2004
James,

A few less punctuation marks next time… you HAVE a question… we get the point.

The padlocks will appear in the thumbnail icon when the File Browser displays images from a volume that cannot be written to (like a CDR or DVD).
JE
James_Earl_Jones
May 13, 2004
So are you saying I can not make a dup of this cd? I am not real familiar with PS.
G
graffiti
May 13, 2004
You need to copy the file off the CD before you can make and save any modifications James.

Photoshop has nothing to do with that.
JE
James_Earl_Jones
May 13, 2004
I drag the file into the hard drive and then open my file browser from PS and it still shows the pad locks. I am confused. I guess I am not good with computers or something.
G
graffiti
May 13, 2004
What OS?

If I remember correctly, if you’re using 9.x, you need to copy them somewhere other than the desktop.

Try clicking on one of the files in finder to highlight. Go to File>Get info. See if the "locked" box its checked.
P
PShock
May 13, 2004
Don’t worry about the pad locks. You can still OPEN the image in Photoshop and alter it – you just have to save it with a different name. That means you have to use "Save As" instead of Save.

-phil
JE
James_Earl_Jones
May 13, 2004
I have the big daddy X……
NK
Neil_Keller
May 13, 2004
What OS? If I remember correctly, if you’re using 9.x, you need to copy them somewhere other than the desktop.

I’ve always been able to open Photoshop documents placed on the Desktop under Mac OS 9.x and earlier.

Neil
G
graffiti
May 13, 2004
I’ve always been able to open Photoshop documents placed on the Desktop under Mac OS 9.x and earlier.

I’m working from memory here but doesn’t that just create a shortcut to the CD? You can open them but you’re actually opening the file from the CD right?

It’s been a while.
JE
James_Earl_Jones
May 13, 2004
As I always tell everyone…I am new at this digital darkroom stuff and not real handy with computers. I am slowly learning.
J
jonf
May 13, 2004
I’m working from memory here but doesn’t that just create a shortcut to the CD? You can open them but you’re actually opening the file from the CD right?

Yes. If you hold down the option key as you drag the file icon from the cd, however, you’ll create a new copy on the desktop and can open and edit it from there.
G
graffiti
May 13, 2004
If you hold down the option key as you drag the file icon from the cd, however, you’ll create a new copy

Coolness. I forgot about that one.

Too bad I’ll never use that trick again. 🙂
P
Phosphor
May 13, 2004
"…not real handy with computers. I am slowly learning."

No worries about that. The best thing to learn is how to formulate good, focused questions. Then the world of self-directed learning with open up wide.

The more you learn the more you realize there is to learn.
JE
James_Earl_Jones
May 13, 2004
Dopeness….I am anxiously waiting to finally print a quality print.
NK
Neil_Keller
May 13, 2004
Yes, I physically copy the graphic directly to the desktop. You don’t have to use the shift key to drag-copy it from the locked disc.

Neil

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections