JC
Posted By
Jim_Crosiar
Nov 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
When I want to print a 4×6 picture with tab, the picture comes out as 3 7/8x 5 1/2. How do I correct this. Previously I didn’t have this problem. How did I correct this?
Photo Elements 2.0
Compaq computer
HP 7350 printer
512 SDRAM
Windows XP

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

NS
Nancy_S
Nov 10, 2003
Jim,

In Image Size, at the resolution you’ve choosen, is the image showing as 4 x 6 or larger?

What happens when you choose the rectangular marquee, set it to "Fixed", type 4 and 6 in the little boxes, click on image, with cursor inside image move box around and then go to Image>Crop?
JC
Jim_Crosiar
Nov 10, 2003
Sue,
I did what you said and the picture is now 4 x 5 1/2. Thanks for your help but the photo is still 1/2" short.
Jim
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 10, 2003
Jim there was someone else who posted with a similar problem not long ago. In that case, the image was being cut off because it was placed too close to the no-print zone for their printer. Is this image displaying a 1/2 inch short when you view it on your monitor? If not, your HP printer will have to have manual adjustments made on the Print Preview screen in order to get the image placed properly on the paper. Many of us who use HPs have to do this, and updating drivers doesn’t help.

If it’s still displaying as 1/2 inch short when viewed on the monitor, that means the image wasn’t big enough to support the 4 X 6 size in the first place, so it will have to be enlarged before you can crop it to an exact size.
JC
Jim_Crosiar
Nov 10, 2003
Thanks for the info…………Jim
JH
Jim_Hess
Nov 11, 2003
Jim,

I have an HP 7150, which is in the same series of printers that you have. I have encountered the same issue that you are describing. In searching through the HP website and other Internet sources, I have found that, even though HP says the printer will print 4×6 borderless photographs, in reality the printer will not do that. And it’s doubtful that there will never be a fix for the problem. After all, the 7000 series has already been discontinued. It seems that HP introduces a whole new series of printers about every three months anymore. I have resorted to printing 4×5 prints because that more closely prints a full frame picture from what I get from my digital camera.

Jim Hess
JC
Jim_Crosiar
Nov 11, 2003
I believe I have come up with a solution. I crop the picture at 4 x 6., then print it. I then get a 4 x 6 print. Let me know if this works for you.
RO
Ricardo_Oxenford
Nov 11, 2003
Hi!
I have an HP 3820 printer and use a mac G4. I have trhe same difficulties printing. In large formats, i.e. US Letter size, I have to add exactly 1 cm on to the "Left" measurement to get the picture centered. This is done in the Print Preview window, deselecting the Center Image button. However, you cannot print anything beyond 24,5 cm., as the image will be cropped. The way around this is to select a larger size paper, US Legal, (although you will still be using US Letter)and "fooling" the printer so that it does not crop your picture !!! This way, I can print a centered 10 inch (just over 25 cm. (long) photo.
However, in the 6×4 this does not work. The best result I get is as follows: Set your print size at 6×4, by cropping, and in Resize>Image Size. In the Print Preview window, Scale Print Size, scale at 96%. Then go to the Position window, and set the "Left" indicator at 0.30 cm.
The result is a full picture, very slightly cropped (from 95.22% which is the default, you are going to 97%), but you get a very close to even white border all around the picture, which at least from a presentation standpoint, looks neater.
JC
Jim_Crosiar
Nov 11, 2003
Thanks for the tips………….Jim

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections