BB
Posted By
Bert_Bigelow
Nov 19, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am trying to illustrate a novel that my brother wrote. I need sources for images, preferably a huge database that I can search based on keywords. I have tried using the standard search engines, without much success. I tried my own website…Webshots…but it is too limited.
Also, I would like the downloads to be free. One site that was recommended to me, corbis.com, charges just to look at the images! You have to actually make a purchase before they will let you see anything!
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 19, 2003
Bert. Do a Google Search with search criteria copyright free + photos. I think this might help you locate something. Gimp-savvy should be okay since it’s open source (all governmental agencies pictures). Gimp-savvy.com has a couple of paragraphs you might want to read about how photos can be used. Since I am not a lawyer, I’d say you had better read and double read before you use anything that you download for commercial use. There are also sites like Freefoto that offer their pictures at a higher resolution for commercial use at a fee. I’m thinking they claim to be royalty free photos…but I didn’t look at their prices since I was just picking up some free for personal use. Well, good luck in your hunt. Like I said read and double read before using.

And no way would I pay before seeing the goods!

Terri
R
Ray
Nov 19, 2003
J
jhjl1
Nov 19, 2003
http://www.photolib.noaa.gov/collections.html

The government has many images that are free to the public. Each link is different so read usage rights carefully.

Restrictions for Using NOAA Images

Most NOAA photos and slides are in the public domain and CANNOT be copyrighted.

Although at present, no fee is charged for using the photos credit MUST be given to the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration/Department of Commerce unless otherwise instructed to give credit to the photographer or other source.

Have A Nice Day,
jwh 🙂
My Pictures
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
EW
Ed_Wurster
Nov 19, 2003
wrote…
I am trying to illustrate a novel that my brother wrote. I need sources
for images, preferably a huge database that I can search based on keywords. I have tried using the standard search engines, without much success. I tried my own website…Webshots…but it is too limited.
Also, I would like the downloads to be free. One site that was recommended
to me, corbis.com, charges just to look at the images! You have to actually make a purchase before they will let you see anything!
Any suggestions would be appreciated.

istockphoto.com is a possibility for you. You can look, but downloads are a small fee.

I would start with Google Images first.

Ed
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 19, 2003
Well, Bert, I’m afraid the answer is partly that when you move into the commercial arena, you move into the commercial resources area. There are several art companies (at least there were a while ago-haven’t checked lately) that offer a reasonable price for a one-week membership so if you know exactly what you want, you should be able to get it all in that time.

However, most companies in the stock art business are going to charge. You might want to look into buying a collection on cd.

In any case, you need to read the license very carefully. Most stock art basic licensing allows you the use of it for projects that are not going to be sold–in other words, you can use it as much as you like for an ad or a brochure or a website(as long as it’s not available for download from your site), but if you want to illustrate a book for sale or put it on a coffee mug that you plan to sell, you need a different license. Dover is the only major exception to that that I am aware of.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Nov 19, 2003
Thanks to you all for your suggestions. I don’t know if the book will ever be published beyond a few copies for family and friends. My brother is making some inquiries, though, so it’s a possibility. The book is wonderful, I think. I prepared the manuscript, scanning in the pages of his draft, typed on a MANUAL typewriter, into an MS Word document. My brother, a retired Geology professor at the University of Hawaii, is a computer Luddite…won’t have one in the house! It’s not a small book..about 500 pages, single spaced, in Word.
bert
TF
Terri_Foster
Nov 19, 2003
Yeah, Bert my mom and dad are the same way. Mom is threating to never use UPS again because they’re going computer.

Terri
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Nov 19, 2003
Terri,
I think it’s kinda strange in my brother’s case, though. He’s a scientist. He did own a laptop for awhile several years ago. An old one that somebody gave him. It was slow and cranky and I think he just got a bad first impression.
Bert

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections