RB
Posted By
Rosie_Bley
May 24, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How on earth do I fade a photo left to right. Meaning the left of the photo is totally solid, then it gradients to transparent to the right so the background photo comes in on the right?
I’ve searched gradients but it deals with colors and transparencies, not photos that I can see. I’ve also used opaque but that applies to the whole photo, not parts.
I’m using Photoshop CS
Thanks

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

EH
Ed_Hannigan
May 24, 2004
Layer Masks. Add a Layer Mask to the layer with the image. Run a gradient from black to white on the mask in the direction you want the fade, black becoming totally transparent and white being opaque.

There are tutorials on the web for this. Here’s one:

<http://www.myjanee.com/tuts/layermask/layermask.htm>
J
jonf
May 24, 2004
That’s the correct way to do it.

The incorrect but quick and easy way is to just select the right half of the photo layer, feather the selection an appropriate amount, and delete. This is obviously not editable so it’s much less versatile. But it doesn’t take a tutorial to learn how to do it!
J
jonf
May 24, 2004
Actually I should point out that the Layer Mask is really pretty easy, even without a tutorial. I’ve just always been fond of low-tech solutions that require little explanation, but the layer mask is actually a really elegant feature.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections