AL
Posted By
Adam_Lorber
May 25, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I’m running my Photoshop 7 on three month old PowerBook. I’m using the newest OS X version, 10.3 Panther. It’s been fine, but I finally needed to buy some fonts since I had only been using the ones that came with it.

I bought 1750 fonts (I’m at work and I forgot the actualy product name) but it came 1000 in one box, and 750 in the other.

I added all of these using FontBook, but now when I go into Photoshop to use them, I can only select fonts from A – F…the rest are gone!

They’re still in the system and I can access them in any other program (Word, Illustrator, etc.)

I have read a few other similar cases…what can I do?

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 25, 2004
Buy a font manager such as FontAgent Pro.

However, I wouldn’t put too much stock on the quality of those fonts.
B
Buko
May 25, 2004
Don’t activate all your fonts at the same time only use what you need.

If you need to view your fonts use font book or a Font Manager like FontAgent Pro.
AL
Adam_Lorber
May 25, 2004
I’ve tried only activating a few of these, and no luck.

I use a font manager at work, and we’re on the same system, so maybe that’s the answer, but they are all new, non-problematic fonts, or at least they should be.

Thanks.
R
Ram
May 25, 2004
Adam,

Any font package that gives you 1,750 fonts is highly suspect. Unless you paid nine thousand dollars for Adobe Font Folio, $8,999.00 for the 2,200 fonts to be exact.
AL
Adam_Lorber
May 25, 2004
Ramon,

The fonts are legit. They’re not copyrighted to be used for business purposes, but they are legit, they’re called MacFonts, and can be purchased at the Apple Store where I bought mine for $29.99 each. I bought them for my own personal designs.
R
Ram
May 25, 2004
Adam,

I know they’re "legit", as in not [necessarily] pirated. A different issue is the quality, regardless of the Apple store provenance.
AL
Adam_Lorber
May 26, 2004
Would Photoshop not pick it up because of the quality? Are there types of fonts Photoshop won’t view?
R
Ram
May 26, 2004
There are crappy fonts that many, most or all applications –and even the OS– will choke on.

In your case, however, you clearly hit the limit of fonts Photoshop can display in its menu.
AL
Adam_Lorber
May 26, 2004
That can’t be true…I work for a newspaper and we have close to 2000 fonts, and we’re on OS X 10.3, on Photoshop CS. Works fine. I tried it on Photoshop 7 too, and not a problem.

So here’s the current status…just trashed all those new fonts. I’m planning on reloading them. I then open Photoshop to see what’s left. THEY’RE ALL STILL THERE…all of the A-F fonts that showed up are still there and able to be used. I trashed them from FontBook and my font library…what the heck is going on?

Any help? Thanks.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
May 26, 2004
Reboot and see if they are still there.
R
Ram
May 26, 2004
Adam,

Well, you are free to believe it or not. Just do a forum search on font limit. You’ll see this has come up numerous fonts.

If your newspaper is not using a font management utility I’d be very surprised.

Anyway, since you don’t want to believe me, this is my last post in response to your inquiry.
AL
Adam_Lorber
May 26, 2004
Ramon,

I never said I don’t believe you, in fact I very much do. We do use a font manager at work. I agreed that that’s probably what I need.

I was able to get rid of the fonts, so I’m installing them letter by letter into my font book.

Hopefully that will work.

If not I’ll purchase a font manager and upgrade to better fonts.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 26, 2004
My money is on: "using the wrong location for fonts"
AL
Adam_Lorber
May 26, 2004
What is the right location? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
CC
Chris_Cox
May 26, 2004
/Library/Fonts (to install them for everyone)
or
~user/Library/Fonts (to install them for one user only)
AL
Adam_Lorber
May 26, 2004
So even though I’m installing them directly into FontBook, so I still need to install them into the font folders? Or is it automatically directed there?
CC
Chris_Cox
May 26, 2004
FontBook should make them work, and should automatically install them into /Library/Fonts

BTW – there shouldn’t be a font menu limit on OS X or Win2K/XP.
AL
Adam_Lorber
May 26, 2004
Using OS X…looks like it installed fine, but now only showing A – M…which is better…do you know what the font limit is or where to find it?
R
Ram
May 26, 2004
There definitely is a limit in 7.0.1 under 9.2.2. Haven’t checked in 8 under Panther, because I’m using FontAgent Pro and just a handful of fonts activated.
M
MarkATS
May 26, 2004
Last time I look in to this Photoshop would stop showing fonts around the 700 mark, I think.
LA
Leena_Andrew
Jun 3, 2004
same question here also…….

Adobe Expert <http://www.usarxlist.com>

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections