PR
Posted By
Philip_R_Anderson
Apr 9, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Buko’s answer is incorrect. The font issue is a major issue that almost everyone is having when using Panther. When you have over a certain amount of fonts, it will not list in any Adobe product – showing only lines. This will happen no mannger what "professional" (or not) font manager one is using. I have tried in vain with a variety of them to no avail. AND, I am still using Photoshop 7.0.1.

This is an issue between Apple and Adobe that needs to be cleared up. Unfortunately, Adobe customer service wants to charge me to "check into" the problem. I am finding that nobody at either Apple, nor Adobe wishes to address this issue – or really does not know.
For so many people who have this problem, I am surprised that it is not written about more often.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

R
Ram
Apr 9, 2004
Philip,

I’ve replied to your other, identical post.

The idea is to activate only a few fonts with a font manager. If you only activate the ones you use at a given time, all those will show up in your fonts menu.

That being said, I do agree that it’s a very annoying bug that we all wish were fixed. I had not run across this phenomenon since SuperPaint, and we all know how old that application is. If there was at least an unambiguous response regarding the magic number of fonts before you reach the limit …
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Apr 9, 2004
If someone really needs to know how many active fonts they can have in Photoshop’s menu at one time, I suggest that they activate their whole library and then count those that show up!

My guess is that it is probably around 256 — but I would NEVER want to activate that number at one time and I just don’t understand why anyone would want the tedium of having to scroll through a list like that in a character palette.

Surely the answer is to get FAP — and to use it?
B
Buko
Apr 9, 2004
No philip You are incorrect.
R
Ram
Apr 9, 2004
Ann,

My guess is that it is probably around 256 — but I would NEVER want to activate that number at one time and I just don’t understand why anyone would want the tedium of having to scroll through a list like that in a character palette.

It wouldn’t ocurr to me to have that many fonts activated simultaneously either.

However, on the subject of scrolling through long font lists, what we need is to have the functionality of ATR in Mac OS 9.2.2 incorporated into an OS X font manager, whereby you can create arbitrarily named font submenus and have them show up on the first level of a font menu in all applications.

For instance, when I view any font menu or list in any application in OS 9.2.2, what I see is a list of subfolders (submenus) named "Text 1 Venetian sloping e-bar", "Text 2 angled stress / Oblique old style", "Text 3 vertical stress / Oblique transitional", and so on for eight text typeface classifications, then "•Deco 1 Flowing scripts" through "•Deco 9 Woodtype", as well as "••pi fonts", "••Cyrillic fonts", "••Greek type", "••Hebrew type", "~ Apple system fonts", etc.

This makes for very short font menus and makes finding the font I want a snap.
B
Buko
Apr 9, 2004
ATR is bulit into the new Adobe Apps
R
Ram
Apr 9, 2004
Buko,

ATR is bulit into the new Adobe Apps

Can it create arbitrary submenus though?

I understand it groups font families together, but not in arbitrary, user-defined subfolders and submenus that would show with their arbitrary names as submenus/subfolders in the fonts menu. I’ve never even seen a screenshot of anything like that in OS X.

Here’s a screen of my ATR submenus in Mac OS 9.2.2:

<http://home.surewest.net/zaldidun/1_ATR_KeyCaps.jpg>
B
Buko
Apr 9, 2004
You are correct and there are no arbitrary submenus.

But I never used them anyway for me thats where my sets in the font manager come in.
R
Ram
Apr 9, 2004
Buko,

… for me thats where my sets in the font manager come in.

But that’s nowhere as functional. The arbitrary submenus are the main thing for me.

Also, if you notice in the screen capture I for which I provided a link, the names of non activated fonts can still be seen albeit grayed out. That’s a great, quick reminder of typefaces in the same category I may want to activate at any given time, while at the same time showing everything in a relative short list that I never have to scroll through. It’s all well within the confines of a single screen.

Really, a font manager should incorporate that capability in OS X. Better yet, Adobe should resuscitate ATR for OS X. 🙂
B
Buko
Apr 9, 2004
They should remake ATMD too.
R
Ram
Apr 9, 2004
Yes, I fully agree. Thanks, Buko. I added ATMD to my post.
G
graball
Apr 26, 2004
Ramón_G_Castañ wrote in message news:…
Philip,

I’ve replied to your other, identical post.

The idea is to activate only a few fonts with a font manager. If you only activate the ones you use at a given time, all those will show up in your fonts menu.

That being said, I do agree that it’s a very annoying bug that we all wish were fixed. I had not run across this phenomenon since SuperPaint, and we all know how old that application is. If there was at least an unambiguous response regarding the magic number of fonts before you reach the limit ?

I’ve read through all the threads on this subject going back about a year. I was attracted to the topic because I just got Photoshop CS and was dismayed that it has this problem. I never had the problem before OSX and it’s really not acceptable.

I shouldn’t have to go out and buy another piece of software AND deal with the inconvenience of switching fonts in and out in the middle of a design job. This is something that should have been addressed in the design of Photoshop 8 or at the very least in an available update. The problem has been around long enough that it’s inexcusable that it hasn’t been addressed.

There was an easy workaround for this problem in older versions of the Mac OS – you could just combine multiple fonts into single suitcases and they all counted as one font. This doesn’t seem to work under OSX.

So, assuming I have to bite the bullet and shell out more bucks because Adobe and Apple can’t fix this problem the way they should, is there any font utility which lets me access all the fonts I have without having to swap out suitcases in an annoying and inefficient way?

Dave

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections