Posted By
Rusty_K
Nov 28, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Hello,

I’m just getting started with learning layers and producing animated gifs such as buttons. I can preview my animated gif but the button won’t act the way I want it to. I want the look of a button with the text changing. So far my preview is just switching between the various layers with the "button" image in only one sequence. Am I making sense?

I know I could just place my animated text over another button image on my webpage but I’m stubborn and want the button animation to work properly.

Also another related question….Is there any reason why I could’t create my entire webpage in Photoshop, save it as an jpg. and just use "hotspots"
for all my hyperlinks? Seems this would save download time…right?

Thank you,
Rusty K

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

I
imacgirl
Nov 29, 2003
Rusty,

You have to duplicate the button for as many text layers that you have or the button will only show once. For each button sequence do the following:

1) Duplicate the buttons as many times as you have text.

2) Place the various text layers above each button layer you’ve duplicated.

3) Turn off all the eyeballs in the palette. Now turn on each text/button layer, two at a time and go to Layer>Merge Visible. Do this for each text/button sequence. The buttons should then appear with the text in each frame and not only one. Your layers palette will now have a bunch of buttons, each with their own text. Re-arrange them if you need to in the palette and preview it.

Hope this helps, come back if it doesn’t. I’ll be happy to try to explain it better if need be.

Barb
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 29, 2003
Rusty, do you mean you want an animated gif shaped like a button or that you want a rollover?
RK
Rusty_K
Nov 29, 2003
Thank you so much for your response.

It’s three in the morning here and I will have to wait to work with your solution tomorrow.

As far as this button being a "rollover"…ummmm I’m not sure of the terminology. I thought a "rollover" was an animation that changed when you ran your cursor over it but I’m really not sure.

This button I’m working on is just for learning. I thought that I would try to make an animated web button with text that would change text two or three times.

I’ll report back on my progress.

Rusty K
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Nov 29, 2003
Yes, that’s right. I just wanted to be sure you really meant you wanted an animated gif–lots of people are confused between animations and the stuff you do with javascript.
RL
Roy_L._Keith
Nov 29, 2003
Hello again,

Your solution worked perfectly. Thank you so much. I’m a bit dismayed that there was so little on this in the help files under "web graphics animated". I guess that I would have to have read up on the "Merge Visible" but without knowing it’s importance I didn’t know to go there.

May I ply you for more info.?
I’m used to working with audio files. As a rule of thumb,in audio, one doesn’t use "dither" until all processing of the file is complete. Is this also true in working with graphics? Would the dithering be applied to each layer/graphic separately or when the entire graphic compositon is merged/simplified/grouped? I have had some distorted results with some pics I’ve prepared for the web.

Thanks again,
R.K.
I
imacgirl
Nov 29, 2003

R.K.

I’m glad that helped you. "Animate with Layers" entered as a Search in the PSE 2 Help Menu does show a little, but not everything, their example is very basic.

As far as your question about dithering, you have me stumped. All I can suggest is to do a Search for "Dither" in the PSE 2 Help Menu, I just did and there is quite a bit of info listed. Maybe someone else that is more familiar with this subject will come along to help you.

Barb
I
imacgirl
Nov 29, 2003

R.K.

I was thinking about your dithering question some more. When I create my animations dither is an option in ‘Save for Web’ when I’m all finished with my layers and want a gif file generated. So, I guess what you wanted to know is if it is applied to all the layers, I would say yes in ‘Save for Web’. Do a ‘Search’ in the PSE 2 Help Menu for ‘Save for Web’ for a thorough explanation of its features.

Barb
RL
Roy_L._Keith
Nov 30, 2003
Barb,

Yes I was thinking that whenever one is given the option to dither then that is the time to apply it. So "Save for Web" would be the last "process" in a multilayer image?

Thank you again you have been most helpful.

R Keith

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections