ML
Posted By
Marty_Landolt
Nov 29, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
No matter what I am doing in PSE this message keeps poping up: There is no disk in the drive. Please insert a disk into drive \Device\Harddisk1\DR1. I can keep working when I’m lucky enough to get rid of the message. That isn’t so easy, press the X, the Cancel…2 or 3 times…no particular formula so it’s pure luck if I make it go on its way.
Should I uninstall PSE and if so is there anything I do first before the "uninstall"?

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

ML
Marty_Landolt
Nov 29, 2003
OK, Now What? I uninstalled, restarted, installed PSE.
As soon as I got into PSE the message popped out. This problem began after I downloaded something from a friend so I don’t think it had a virus in it.
I guess I’ll have to use the old set up and do my Challenges with Photoshop Deluxe. Marty
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 29, 2003
What did you download from your friend, Marty? Is it anything that can be deleted from your hard drive? If so, I suggest taking it off and then going through the uninstall/reinstall routine again, remembering to do a separate search for the Preference folder and anything else that might get left behind before you reinstall Elements again.

Do you have any antivirus software? It might be a good idea to scan and see if anything comes up.

Sorry I didn’t answer earlier, but I was waiting for some Windows person to step up to the plate! I never feel very confident of my suggestions, since I use a Mac, but I think my advice this time around is sound! Good luck!
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 29, 2003
Marty,

I agree with Beth, that download from your friend certainly sounds suspect. It may not even contain a virus, but if it is any kind of program or executable it could have changed system files in some way.

If you are using WinXP, you could backtrack to the time before the download with "System Restore" and PSE would still be on your system of course.

Nancy
LM
Lou_M
Nov 29, 2003
Marty,

Beth and Nancy give good advice. In addition, I Googled for the error message and several possibilities came up:

1. Your hard disk might be going bad (not likely, since the message says there no disk at all).
2. An antivirus or other protective program might be causing the problem (ZoneAlarm and Macafee were mentioned).
3. You have a Zip disk or CD-ROM drive without a disc in it. Was the program your friend sent an Explorer add-in by any chance?

Lou.
ML
Marty_Landolt
Nov 30, 2003
BETH,
This might have had something to do with the download. I can remove it and go through the uninstall-reinstall but I’m not sure I know what to do about the stuff that doesn’t get uninstalled…like perhaps the preference folder.
Marty
BH
Beth_Haney
Nov 30, 2003
I can’t remember what operating system you run, Marty, but I think almost all versions of Windows have a "Find" feature. If you use that to search for anything that has Adobe Elements in the name you can then delete the files/folders individually. Just make sure to do that after you run Uninstall, or you’ll wind up having to manually delete way too much stuff.

If you post the operating system you run, I know somebody can give you some pretty specific instructions. There are people here running almost every flavor of Windows that exists!
ML
Marty_Landolt
Nov 30, 2003
BETH,
I have Windows XP. Thanks again and I’m about to do an uninstall again. I ran the scan disk but still get the maessage.
I also deleted the ‘download’. If this uninstall fails to correct it then I’ll go on to Nancy’s method.
You all are so helpful and it does seem that I learn a lot when I do have a problem. Marty
PS Somehow I managed to get the final CH 43 together with no messages interferring.
ML
Marty_Landolt
Nov 30, 2003
NANCY,
I haven’t ignored your nice quick reply. I’ve been working on BETH’s "uninstall" and trying to get other stuff done when the message stays away.
I’ve never done a System restore thing so might be bugging you again on that. Marty
NS
Nancy_S
Nov 30, 2003
Marty,

I, fortunately, have not had the need to run System Restore either. But this would seem the way to go to me. This feature was built into XP for exactly your situation. There is so much info easily available on the net, I’d just pull up some articles from Microsoft Knowledge Base before you begin so you’ll understand the process and know what to expect…I hate computer surprises! You might want to look at the Restore Points your computer has created and give thought to which one would be best to restore to, remembering when you got that download so as to choose a date/time prior to that.

Nancy
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 1, 2003
Marty,

The message sounds like you have two hard disks, is this so? Do you have a Card Reader always attached to your system? If so, is there a card in it? Is your camera attached to your computer?

Maybe you should take a look in Device Manager. Go to Start>Control Panel>right click on System, click Open, click the Hardware Tab, click the Device Manager button and see if there are any alert symbols. Click the plus signs next to all your drives, harddisk, CD, Zip, whatever you have to see if what is reported is correct.

Nancy
LM
Lou_M
Dec 1, 2003
Marty,

Could it be that the last time you used the File Browser that it was looking on a Zip drive, CD drive, or card reader? If any of those are empty now, you might get that message.
J
jhjl1
Dec 1, 2003
Hello Marty, did you solve your problem. If the download you are referring to was the signature brush.pdf I just checked it again for any type of virus and it comes up clean. It caused no problems for me when I received it from Grant. The file would have had to pass an anti-virus program coming to me as well as leaving my computer. I just did a complete system scan and found nothing. On the off chance that the e-mail itself was
contaminated I readdressed the exact e-mail I sent you and sent it to me at three different addresses along with the .pdf file and saved it with both of my computers and everything seems fine with Elements and all other programs. Hopefully you solved the problem and it was not virus related. I noticed there is a new post from Robert Jenkins today with a similar problem. The same file was sent to Ben Sendrow, perhaps he will see this and comment as to if he had any of the problems that you are experiencing.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James W. Hutchinson
http://www.pbase.com/myeyesview
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 1, 2003
Marty,

Also, our kindly "Adobe Guy" Rich C, just commented on this problem in another thread here

jhjl1 "PE2 persistent error message" 12/1/03 1:07pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>
J
jhjl1
Dec 1, 2003
You said you could not find your brushes after doing the tut. Is it possible that your brushes were saved to a floppy or zip drive and elements is looking for that drive?

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James W. Hutchinson
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 2, 2003
Marty,

To delete the preferences file;

get your fingers poised over 3 keys; Control, Alt and Shift. Immediately upon clicking the icon to start PSE press and hold down those three keys until you see a message pop up. Answer yes to the message and let the program load. If you don’t see the message, just let it load up, shut it down and try again. Or you could ferret out the file using Explorer and delete it manually.
ML
Marty_Landolt
Dec 2, 2003
NANCY,
I unpluged the card reader and I checked out Device Manager. Still get the message. When I do the right amount of clicks and it goes away I have to hurry and do something before it pops up again.
What a pain in the neck.
Marty
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 2, 2003
Marty,

The solution is to find the solution…rather than play "Beat the Clock" with the diaglog box!!
ML
Marty_Landolt
Dec 2, 2003
BETH,
I had uninstalled and reinstalled again yesterday. That time when it finished uninstallying there was no message saying that some files would have to be removed by me so I didn’t have to do that "find".
Cross your fingers, though, I’m trying other stuff.
Marty
ML
Marty_Landolt
Dec 2, 2003
LOU,
I have had that happen…when I’ve been working with the Zip disk in its slot it will come up with the message later that I need to insert a disk in the Zip drive. That has been no problem. Once I click it out it stays away.
Hopefully I might have solved my problem
Marty
ML
Marty_Landolt
Dec 2, 2003
NANCY,
I didn’t restart my computer after I unpluged the card reader. I tried PSE and figured since the message was still there the unpluging card reader didn’t work. When you said to try the Ctrl-Alt-Shift I did restart my computer and give that a try. Don’t hold your breath but I haven’t seen the message for a while. I’ll fool around with PSE more and see if the message has gone for good. If so, have I deleted some prefs that have to be put back on? Marty
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 2, 2003
Marty,

You pressed Control/Alt/Shift right? Not Control/Alt/Delete? I was a little confused because of you saying you restarted the computer. But you did see the message which asked if you wanted to delete the Preferences file?

You may have never set Preferences intentionally, except for telling Adobe Online to get lost and never check for updates. You might want to reinstate that "Never" condition in your preferences.

Nancy
ML
Marty_Landolt
Dec 2, 2003
Night Night…I’ll give it some more tries and hope the message stays in outer space tomorrow. Marty
ML
Marty_Landolt
Dec 2, 2003
BETH, NANCY AND LOU, (Also Robert from the other thread), I’ve been doing the usual things on PSE today and so far haven’t seen that message. I think the "Deleting Prefs" corrected it rather than the card reader.
I’ll be using PSE to get my PhotoChallenge in so hope I’m right about it being OK. COULDN’T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU’ALL. MANY THANKS!!
J
jhjl1
Dec 2, 2003
Marty I am so glad it turned out that it was not a virus from the file I sent you, I’ve lost sleep worrying over that one. I’m glad you are back up and running.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
LM
Lou_M
Dec 2, 2003
Marty, glad you’re back up and running!
ML
Marty_Landolt
Dec 2, 2003
OK, I’ve been on the computer most of the day and everything seems fine. James (jhjl1) I really didn’t think it was from the "Signature…" you sent but did consider just the downloading process could have thrown something off wack. Please don’t ever lose sleep over my problems…I wish I knew my own secret for keeping calm under stress.
It’s been said before over and over…this is the greatest bunch of people I’ve ever come across and that means you, and you, and you so take that bow.
Marty
J
jhjl1
Dec 2, 2003
My problems do not bother me Marty, it is only when I feel that I could have caused someone else problems, even unintentionally, that I worry. Thank God your puter seems OK. Being a windows user I am very diligent about sharing files because of virus problems. To this day I have never had a virus that I am aware of (knock on wood), my software has caught quite a few prior to them infecting my computers though.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson
J
jhjl1
Dec 3, 2003
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;330137&Product=winxp I found this article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base.

Have A Nice Day, 🙂
James Hutchinson

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections