SilverFast 6 troubles after 10.3.4 update?

GP
Posted By
Gary_Politzer
Jun 21, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I finally had Silverfast working with Firewire at version 6.2.1r1, under Panther 10.3.3. Sometime after upgrading to 10.3.4, I again tried Silverfast only to get the spinning beachball of death, sometimes upon merely trying to open the driver in Photoshop, and at other times after the scan was begun. Silverfast was reliable under USB, but never Firewire until version 6.2.1r1. I updated to 6.2.1r5 and got one good scan, but then the problem returned. Methinks this is a thorny item to troubleshoot, as there are so many variables, and this problem never appeared before. I could CCC a clone of a recent working system to some spare drive space & see if my scanner operates smoothly from the clone… I am wondering if anyone reading this has had similar troubles?

My system:

Blue & White Rev 1 running PowerLogix G4 550 with 1 GB RAM. Booting from 36 GB Seagate SCSI running off original OEM Adaptec 2940U2B card. Epson 1640XL w/ onboard Firewire card. Photoshop CS with SilverFast as Plug-in.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 21, 2004
Did you trash the Prefs. of your previous version of Silverfast and run "Repair Permissions" both before and after installing 6.2.1r5?

Try that and see if it helps.
GP
Gary_Politzer
Jun 21, 2004
I did not trash previous SilverFast prefs before installation, but did so on your suggestion after repairing permissions on the boot drive. This got me nearly halfway thru a scan before the SBOD reappeared.
R
Ram
Jun 21, 2004
Did you repair Permissions after the installation as well, or only before?
GP
Gary_Politzer
Jun 21, 2004
Actually, I repaired permissions only after installing Silverfast. I just had a scan succeed over USB, so I’m wondering if this could be a return to flaky firewire problems. From what you are suggesting, it seems I should try uninstalling & reinstalling SilverFast, with permissions repair before & after. What a lot of OS X Voodoo! You know, it could a software conflict as well… for example, I installed LazyMouse recently.
R
Ram
Jun 21, 2004
Gary,

While not everyone believes in repairing permissions before and after upgrading and before and after installing any software that uses an installer, the fact remains that it can’t hurt and in many instances fixes problems. OS X voodoo? Absolutely! If Photoshop 8 ran in 9.2.2, I’d go back in a second.

Haxies can indeed be a problem too.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jun 21, 2004
Add Cocktail to the voodoo — it might work wonders.

Incidentally, what is LazyMouse?
R
Ram
Jun 21, 2004
what is LazyMouse?

Shareware haxie:

<http://www.oldjewelsoftware.com/lazymouse/>
GP
Gary_Politzer
Jun 21, 2004
OK – I am signing off for tonight, but will resume troubleshooting after work tomorrow, trying a reinstall with full voodoo, and perhaps also uninstalling LazyMouse for starters.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections