Status
Closed
Hi,
I’m using:

Photoshop Elements w/ PIM II Epson plug-in
Dell 1703FP monitor
Epson Stylus Photo 825 printer
Minolta Dimage 7HI camera in RAW mode

The Dell monitor is awesome and shows the colors perfectly (esp for cloudy day shots) but the Print Preview for the Epson just does not print those colors (always too blue).

If I use the Dell 1703gp.icm file then the Adobe will print preview properly but the Epson will not.

Adobe/Epson/Minolta technical support are all as helpless as babies to suggest anything that will help — ICM w/ no color correction, No color management, etc. doesn’t seem to help much. Only Epson Photo Enhance seems to do anything and it does precious little (and I discovered that myself by experimenting, not thru tech support).

Does anyone have any ideas for settings or for resources to get good competent help with color management with the above configuation or sugges a better one?

Thanks,
Robert

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

EM
Eric_Matthes
Dec 7, 2003
Robert,
You might try this discussion as well:

<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/EPSON_Printers/messages>

These people seem pretty knowledgeable about the printing process.
N
nytrashman7618
Dec 7, 2003
I am currently experimenting with a custom printer profile for my epson 890 printer. i had the profile made and today i finally had a chance to use it. what i have found is, the "canned" epson profile produces very good results but now that i have had a chance to use my custom profile what i see on my monitor, the adjustments i make in PSE 2, print out exactly as they appear on the monitor. what i thought was a good print using the epson profile, even though it is ok, wasn’t really a true representaion of what was actually on my monitor. i will be experimenting with this custom profile som emore but right now it appears this is the way to go. when all is said and done, i will get back to you and let you know my final opinion. in the meantime you might want to look into having a custom profile made (approx $40.00) for your printer. oh one more thing, make sure your monitor is calibrated properly. i calibrate mine using a Pantone ColorVision Spyder.
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 7, 2003
Robert,

The print preview isn’t supposed to be used as a color verifier, only for image placement on paper, so don’t edit your image based on the preview.

Look at your display properties. Under Color Management for monitor make sure your monitor’s profile is the one being used (which it undoubtedly is as you’re very please with the color on screen). Try Edit>Color Settings>No Color Management

Personally these settings work for me and my Epson printer;

No Color Management
Set the correct paper type
In Printer Driver; Mode=Custom, click the Advanced button…Management=Color Controls, Mode=Automatic, uncheck Hi Speed, set to Photo 720, Source Space=Untagged RGB, Print Space=Printer Color Management
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 7, 2003
As anyone mentioned that he shouldn’t be using Kodak paper with an Epson printer ??? Epson paper was created for Epson ink. You should see a big difference just changing paper.
N
nytrashman7618
Dec 7, 2003
you sure are a smart one Jodi, i didn’t think of that.
J
JesusIsGod
Dec 8, 2003
Sincere thanks to you all! This is great. I wish the vendors’ tech support was as knowledgeable (although Adobe tech support did help once).

George, from where could I get a custom profile? also, would be great to know how your experiment turns out.

Eric, Thanks, I’ll try that forum.

Jodi,
I tried Epson Premium Glossy per your note. Still a bit blue, but the colors have better separation and the picture is even a little clearer. Also, turns out Kodak Premium paper has less blue than Ultima and the colors work better. Will try other papers as well. Thanks!

Nancy,
thanks. I think I tried most of those settings already (Adobe shared some of them with me), but will definitely try again w/ the additional information you shared.

Also, although I’m sure what you’re saying is correct in general, turns out in my specific setup the Epson Print Preview colors are exactly what really prints — which is ideal, of course, not complaining about that! Adobe print preview depends on the Adobe profile and does not seem to control the Epson print preview at all.

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections