CP
Posted By
Caroline_Parker
Dec 9, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Help! I am a new Adobe user and am trying to outline/select a person (head and shoulders, leaving behind the other stuff in the photo) from a photo to import into a different background. How do I outline and remove the person from the photo? The lasso tool isn’t precise enough. Since it is freehand, I end up with choppy/uneven places. Also I want to put the picture of the person on a translucent layer that has a spotlight effect on the person, then put both images/layers onto a nature scene. Can anyone help me? It might help to know the project I am attempting, I want to make Christmas cards that are a photo of a mountain setting with the person’s photo inserted in the top corner in an oval/ellipse outline. I want the oval to have a white translucent or spotlight effect around the photo. The Elements tutorial doesn’t specifically answer my questions. I use Adobe Elements 2.0 with Windows ME with 384 mg RAM. I would really really appreciate anyone who could give me step-by-step instructions that a novice can understand. Thanks!

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

RC
Richard_Coencas
Dec 9, 2003
Caroline,
The freehand lasso tool is a skill that takes a bit of time to develop. Some people find using a tablet an easier way to work. But there is hope for mouse users. Under the lasso tool (just click and hold on the tool and you’ll see extra tools), are a magnetic lasso tool and a polygonal lasso tool.

The magnetic tool will snap to edges. It can also be tricky, but if there is good contrast between your subject and the background, it does a great job.

The polygonal lasso tool creates a series of staight lines, but if you zoom way in and make your straight lines very short, you can get a very smooth edge, and it is, in my opinion, the easiest to use.

Rich
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 9, 2003
Caroline,

Try the polygonal lasso. You need to zoom waaay in to get a good selection (ctrl key and the plus sign). Click with mouse, go short distance, click with mouse. Since you are working highly magnified, those short straight lines will form curves at normal viewing size. Move the image around in window by holding the space bar til you see the "Hand" and drag to reposition image in viewing window.
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 9, 2003
Caroline,

I hate to admit this but I use the selection brush a lot. Did any one mention after making a selection you can go to selection>modify>smooth. I think that’s right…it’s in that menu at any rate. You can select how many pixels to smooth by…it won’t do your work for you but helps. You can also contract or expand your selection from this menu.

Terri
G
GeorgeE
Dec 9, 2003
Caroline,

What is the difference between the modify>smooth command vs feather?

Thanks
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 10, 2003
George,

I believe feather disperses the pixels in a way that causes your selection to fade-out and blend in with the background instead of having a crisp sharp edge where as the smooth command works on a mean. Meaning it would just take the pixels and find the average to take away selection choppiness. This would not in itself blend as feather does. If I am in any way incorrect, I am sure someone will be along shortly to correct this.

Terri
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 10, 2003
I had never looked into the Select-Modify-Smooth command, before, but decided to look it up after this conversation piqued my curiosity.

Here’s what PSE Help has to say:

To clean up stray pixels left inside or outside a color-based selection:

Choose Select > Modify > Smooth.
For Sample Radius, enter a pixel value between 1 and 100, and click OK. Photoshop Elements searches around each selected pixel for unselected pixels within the specified range. For example, if you enter 16 for Sample Radius, Photoshop Elements searches 16 pixels on each side of every selected pixel. If most pixels in that range are selected, any unselected pixels are added to the selection. If most pixels in that range are unselected, any selected pixels are removed from the selection.

Does anyone regularly use Smooth? If so, would you mind giving a practical example of how it helps?

Thanks,

Byron
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 10, 2003
Byron, one example for it’s use is to get rounded corners ( without a feather) on a rectangular marquee selection. The higher the pixel amount you put in the rounder the corners.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections