Jun 12, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I Lost Thumbnial previews on many psd files system wide

any fix?

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

MD
Michael_D_Sullivan
Jun 12, 2005
Thumbnail previews in Windows Explorer and the File Open dialog? Or in Bridge/File Browser? Have you recently upgraded your Photoshop installation?

Prior to Photoshop CS, there was a facility included in Photoshop that allowed thumbnails of .psd files to display in Windows Explorer (and in the File Open dialog, which uses Windows Explorer components), via a module named psicon.dll. This caused significant problems, however, and was removed in CS and CS2. If you recently installed either of these as an upgrade, it probably removed the module. Use the File Browser in CS or the Bridge program in CS2 instead.
J
Jazzed
Jun 12, 2005
thanks, but isnt there any way to see them in explorer? find the browser kind of inefficiant

plus i just installed what was Lookout and is now MSN desktop search …its WAYYYY faster thean adobe search but dosnt display psd thumbs.

Plus its not as good…i just typed in "film" selected a drive and it came up with nothing…if i do that in desktop search i instanly get all files with film in them.

additionally, if I am on the desktop looking at 4 different external drive folders i dont want to open PS just to see what a file is….seems like I could before

yes, i did upgrade to cs…any other solutions?
JJ
John Joslin
Jun 12, 2005
There were problems with some users of Photoshop being unable to save files and thus losing data. Adobe’s fix was to remove a DLL from the installation. With this gone the data loss problem was cured for the few people who had the problem. However this rather extemporaneous solution had the side effect that all PS users lost thumbnails for PSD files in Windows Explorer. There was a big outcry but Adobe insisted that it was a fault in Windows and they were not responsible. Apparently there will be no attempt to rectify this from the Adobe side.

Adobe and some users say "use the CS1 File Browser or the CS2 Bridge" and, for most things, the Bridge is OK (the File Browser was crap). However, while they can do a lot of wonderful things Explorer cannot do, they cannot do everything that Explorer can; so they are not a replacement but an alternative.

Personally, in Bridge, I just use a right click and select "Reveal in Explorer" when I run into something that Bridge can’t do as well.

If you feel really handicapped without the thumbnails, do a web search on PSICON.DLL.

Postscript: There is still a serious bug in Bridge which gets date/time data wrong!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections