L
Posted By
larrybuus
Dec 18, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
How do I convert a photo to jpg file extension? When I try to "Save AS" I do not have the option to save as jpg.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

JH
Jim_Hess
Dec 19, 2003
You need to give us a little more information. What kind of a file are you working on? If your image has layers it will be necessary for you to flatten the image before you will be able save it as a JPEG image. You cannot save an image with multiple layers as a JPEG.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Dec 19, 2003
PS will let you save multiple layered files as JPEG, it just flattens them as you do so, informs you that will save as a copy. But the JPEG option is there. RGB,grayscale, CMYK.

Mac
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 19, 2003
Hi Larry,

When you do "Save As" a box pops up and you are able to do changes there. The first line is for the file name but the second line should say Format … click on the box and you will be able to change the format. JPEG is somewhere near the top of the list.

I tend to use "save for web" when I want to convert to a jpeg as that gives me more control over the size of it.

hope this helps
Wendy
L
larrybuus
Dec 19, 2003
Thanks for your response Wendy.

The problem is that jpg is not one of the options listed in the drop down box when when I go to Save As.
MM
Mac_McDougald
Dec 19, 2003
Ah, is in indexed color perhaps (ala GIF)?

Mac
L
larrybuus
Dec 19, 2003
On page 228 of the Photoshop Elements User Guide it states as follows:

To save a file in JPEG format:

Choose File > Save As, and choose JPEG from the format list.

When I attempt to save a file to the JPEG format I do not find JPEG on the drop down menu.

Help!
MM
Mac_McDougald
Dec 19, 2003
Repeat:
Is your file in Indexed Color mode?
If it is a GIF, it is.
Change to RGB.
Check Image/Mode

Mac
L
larrybuus
Dec 20, 2003
Hello Mac: Thanks for responding to my inquiry.
Yes – the file is a GIF.
What is a "indexed color mode"?
How do I change o RGB?
How do I check Image/Mode?

As you can tell I am a novice at photo imaging!

Thanks for the interest and help!
R
Ray
Dec 20, 2003
I’m not Mac but I can help here…

Photoshop Elements 2 : Goto Image / Mode and look where’s the Checkmark is. This will tell you the
mode the image is in. Then change it to RGB by clicking on "RGB Color" in the same menu.

Ray
L
larrybuus
Dec 20, 2003
Ray: Thank you very much! That works!
R
Ray
Dec 20, 2003
Another satisfied customer 🙂

Ray
(who’s going to get some well deserved sleep! Good night everyone!)
L
larrybuus
Dec 22, 2003
Ray: I can place a check mark by RGB, however, it will not stay checked. Any more ideas?
R
Ray
Dec 22, 2003
Larry,

Give us more details on how this checkmark isn’t staying "on". Usually, if an option isn’t
available, it will be grayed out, so you can’t actually click on something and it will revert back on its own.

Ray
L
larrybuus
Dec 22, 2003
Ray: This might sound crazy, but it seems like I make all the correct moves to change to jpeg, and at the end when Elements asks if I want to save changes and I answer yes the changes don’t seem to be made.
I am using a 4 year old Dell computer with 98SE and 256 of ram. One more question: When the Save As Box is open, at the bottom of the box in the Save Options are three choices:
Save as: a copy
layers (greyed out)
ICC Profile sRGBlEC61966-2.1
I have not been checking any of them – should I??

Thanks for your help.
By the way: this is a 25kb gig photo which I received over the internet.
NS
Nancy_S
Dec 22, 2003
Larry,

Using Explorer, right click that file that doesn’t seem to save changes, choose Properties and see if "Read Only" is checked. If so, remove that checkmark and try again. If the file resides on a CD, copy it to your harddrive prior to working on it.

In regards to the image which won’t stay at RBG…with your image open in PSE, check Image>Mode…what does it say?

Save As…using this will overwrite the starting file UNLESS you rename it or change the file extension (the format). "Layers" are greyed out when saving as jpg files as this format does not support layers or transparency.

Check Edit>Color Settings, or maybe it says Color Management…if you are using "No Color Management" you probably wouldn’t want to check the sRGB profile.

If you still have a snag somewhere, come back and post more details.

Nancy

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections