Color to Black and White to Sketch. How do I do that?

V
Posted By
Vowskept
Dec 19, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Greetings!

I was wondering how to take a color photo, and turn it into a black and white photo that looks like a sketch drawing? I have some color photos that I would like to make it appear they are black and white drawings. Is that possible and if so where would I find the instructions? It seems there are a zillion books (ok, maybe only a hundred or so) out there on how to do special effects with Photoshop. Ugh! I don’t mind doing the research, but where do I start so I don’t have to spend a lot of money to find out my answer? Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Sherri :o)

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

GD
Grant_Dixon
Dec 19, 2003
Sherri :o)

1. Open an image in Elements, preferably a photograph.
2. Create a copy of the background layer (Layer- >Duplicate Layer) and invert it. (Image- >Adjust- > Invert).
3. Convert image to Grayscale (Image- > Mode- > Grayscale) and choose NOT to flatten the image.
4. Set layer mode to "Color Dodge." This will at first make the layer look almost completely white.
5. Now, bring out some of the pencil strokes by applying the Gaussian blur-filter (Filter-> Blur- > Gaussian Blur) and set "Radius" to somewhere between 1.5 and 5.0 pixels. The pixel size is up to you.

If you set the "Radius" to a higher value, the image will look more like a pastel painting, rather than a sketch.
V
Vowskept
Dec 19, 2003
Thank you! I shall try and see what happens. Thanks again for taking time out to help me.

Have a great day!

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections