RR
Posted By
Raymond Robillard
Dec 23, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Here’s a fun little trick you can use with gradients to create very cool backgrounds or frames.

Create an empty document (with either a white or transparent background)

Select the gradient tool, change its blending mode to difference.

Choose a gradient that has two or more solid colors (not transparent to background or vice versa)

Create several gradients in your new document on the same layer, varying the angle (from top to bottom, left to right, right to bottom, etc), the type of gradient (radial, mirror, etc.) and the size. You might as well vary the colors of your gradient to give a rainbowesque look to your creation.

Now watch what’s happening… πŸ™‚

<http://www.pbase.com/image/24382428>

Have fun !

Ray

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 23, 2003
Ray,

This is almost exactly like the fun we had with a technique posted by Wendy Williams in early November…

Jane Carter "Another use for the Gradient Tool" 11/6/03 12:13pm </cgi-bin/webx?13/0>

I still have fun with it!

Byron
R
Ray
Dec 23, 2003
You’re right Byron, I haven’t seen this thread. Wendy, I’m sorry, I didn’t want to copy your idea. I just discovered this yesterday and thought this was cool, so I decided to share it πŸ™‚

Ray
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 24, 2003
Hi Ray,

When I found out how to do this it facinated me and I just couldn’t stop doing it … It is such an incredible effect and I love the colours you have come up with …. Sheer magic.

Like the idea of using it for frames …

Wendy
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 24, 2003
Hi Ray and classmates, Don’t eevveerr feel bad about bringing a fun topic up again! We forget them and need to be reminded of the goodies that we have been working on in the past. Keep them coming and keep reminding us of them, How easily we forget, and we have tons of bookmarks that we don’t go back to.
Sometimes I lose them and have to go back to my pbase albums to see the fun that we were having. Like the FIRE one, which I am going to complete eventually. This is a whole part of our fun and learning process. FIre, Snowflakes, gradients, and much more fun!
Jane
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 24, 2003
Funny this should come up. I just was looking at a couple of tutorials on this subject last night.
BB
Barbara_Brundage
Dec 24, 2003
BTW, did y’all know that if you do this with Noise gradients instead of solids that you get really wild plaids?
R
Ray
Dec 24, 2003
I tried it yesterday, I was staring at my screen for a few minutes… Just so cool !

Ray
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 24, 2003
Ray, Terri, Wendy, Barb,
Thanks for some great ideas!
Bert
R
Ray
Dec 24, 2003
http://www.pbase.com/image/24408384

Just for you guys, Bert, Chuck and the others πŸ˜‰

Ray
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 24, 2003
Ray, I like it – thanks very much for being a good sport! πŸ™‚
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 24, 2003
Very, very nice. You’ve been using your snowed in time well.
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 24, 2003
Ray,
I like that! Gotta try it…thanks.
bert
BG
Byron_Gale
Dec 24, 2003
Ray,

Here’s one I did with colors — crazy, man…

http://home.comcast.net/~hey-m0e/diffgradient.jpg

Byron
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 24, 2003
Byron, that is really cool! I feel so behind…i haven’t done one yet…..since the first time it was posted πŸ˜‰
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 24, 2003
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 24, 2003
Jane, great stuff!

Merry Christmas to you! Is it going to be a White Christmas there? πŸ™‚
Chuck
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 24, 2003
Jane…WOW ! Fantastic !!!
R
Ray
Dec 24, 2003
Byron, Jane, that’s wonderfull!

Are we gonna have a new museum, the Fun With Gradients Museum ? πŸ˜‰

Ray
JW
JP White
Dec 25, 2003
Ray wrote:
Byron, Jane, that’s wonderfull!

Are we gonna have a new museum, the Fun With Gradients Museum ? πŸ˜‰
Ray

Well here is my contribution to the project. (So Far….)

http://bellsouthpwp.net/J/P/JPWhite/galleries/Photoshop
LD
Lynn_D._Green
Dec 25, 2003
Ray………

Funny you should mention that, I was thinking earlier that we needed a place to post these…..they are every bit as addictive as the snowflakes I think……maybe more so….

Mine can be found at:

<http://lynn98383.tripod.com/gradientfun/>

Lynn
JC
Jane_Carter
Dec 25, 2003
Thanks, I do love to do these neat things, and thanks to you all here, I can accomplish stuff with PSE that 10 months ago looked impossible. Was impossible for me.

All rain here on Cape Cod. 55ΒΊ
I do love a white Christmas, but a large segment of our family is arriving by car tomorrow morning, so OK for the rain and thank goodness for no snow.

Lets keep going with these fun things like Gradients, Snowflakes, Fire, and all the neat things that PSE has for us! Keep firing these tutorials at us. When I get done with the cooking and all the holiday stuff gets over with, we will get back to the fun!
Merry Christmas!
Jane
JF
Jodi_Frye
Dec 25, 2003
Ray, i did one…when can i send it to you ? For your ‘gradient museum’… hint hint πŸ™‚
R
Ray
Dec 25, 2003
Lynn, your gradients are awesome !

Jodi (and everyone that posted snowflakes), if I put up a Gradient Museum, I’ll have to remove the Snowflakes’ one. Is that ok with everyone ?

Ray
TF
Terri_Foster
Dec 25, 2003
No problem here.
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 25, 2003
Everyone…..what great images. Can’t wait to get back to my own PC and Elements. No snow here in east central Indiana.

Dick
CS
Chuck_Snyder
Dec 25, 2003
Hi, Dick – Merry Christmas to you!
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 26, 2003
Dick,
Two of my nephews who married girls from Evansville are back there this week for Christmas. They are Southern Californians. Hope they survive…:)
Bert
WE
Wendy_E_Williams
Dec 26, 2003
Hey … What fantastic gradients it is so amazing the colours that come out when you use it …

Ray I think it a brilliant idea having a Gradients Museum … really looking forward to it.

Wendy
DS
Dick_Smith
Dec 26, 2003
Bert, so far just a lot of cold but no snow!

They’ll probably make it ok.

BTW, did you feel the earthquake?

Dick
BB
Bert_Bigelow
Dec 26, 2003
BTW, did you feel the earthquake?

Nope. The motion was very slight in LA, and we’re doen in Orange County, about 40 miles south of LA. Didn’t feel a thing.
Bert

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections