DP
Posted By
David_P_Gates
Dec 27, 2003
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
I am very new to Photoshop Elements and I am having difficulty with adding text to a picture.

When I select the horizontal text tool and insert a point on the picture the cursor runs off the bottom of the screen. When I type, the text is not visible.

After searching this forum, and got a couple ideas, it turns out that if I zoom out to about 4% the text is being placed well below the actual picture. I have played with the text size from 72 down to 0.1 but the cursor remains the same. So, in order to get the test on the picture I have to enlarge the text box in order to grab it and move it onto the picture and then play with the sixe again to get it where i want.

This seems very convoluted for a seemingly task so does anyone have a better method or, even better, a solution to reduce the height of the cursor?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

NS
Nancy_S
Dec 27, 2003
David,

Try deleting the Preferences folder. IMMEDIATELY after clicking the PSE icon, simultaneously hold down Ctrl/shift/alt until a dialog box appears. Answer yes and let it load. If you don’t get the box, let it load and try again. Let us know if this fixed it.

You are creating a new blank layer to put the text on, right…also beware of the choices for centered, fixed beginning point at left etc.
DP
David_P_Gates
Dec 27, 2003
Yes that worked, thank you.
BB
bob_bishop
Dec 28, 2003
That was great, Nancy. I am fearful that I might have something similar happen to me some day. Sounds like the kind of problem that could drive a person crazy. Could you basically explain the logic behind the solution? David was most fortunate that you were able to solve his problem. Thanks Bob
BH
Beth_Haney
Dec 28, 2003
Bob, that Preference folder is subject to corruption, although nobody has been able to figure out a any pattern or set of circumstances under which you could force the corruption.

It’s often the first thing we recommend whenever anyone has a problem that doesn’t seem logical – as in David’s case. He seemed to be using the tool correctly, but it wasn’t behaving the way it should. Probably the biggest tipoff that Preferences might need to be deleted is the situation in which you’ve done something repeatedly and it worked correctly, but all of a sudden you try doing the same thing in the same way, but with a different – and unsatisfactory – outcome. I guess it’s one of those things where, after using Elements for a while, you’ll "know it when you see it".
BB
bob_bishop
Dec 28, 2003
Thank you Beth!! Great explanation. Bob Bishop

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections