PB
Posted By
Photographer_Brian_DeWolf
Jul 23, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
In PS CS my brush tool has become so slow that it may take a minute or more to paint down a single stroke. The slow performance depends upon the file size, but it is slow, slow, slow. No other tool has this problem.

I’m using Photoshop CS on a Mac G4 running OS 10.2.8. It’s a dual processor with 2 GB Ram. The problem occurs with the mouse and the Wacom tablet.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

PC
Pierre_Courtejoie
Jul 23, 2004
Is the histogram palette open? it can influe the speed of the brushes, at least it does on the "other side"
PB
Jul 24, 2004
The histogram palette is closed.
I turned off "spacing" in the brush palette and performance improved a little bit. Performance is still terrible, though.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 25, 2004
You did WHAT?!

Turn "Spacing" on again unless you want to paint disconnected dots when you try to paint straight lines by Shift-clicking.

Your problem lies elsewhere — such as in an old Wacom driver.

And do consider upgrading to panther 10.3.4.
CC
Chris_Cox
Jul 27, 2004
Also, check the brush you are using – if you have lots of options turned on, then of course it’ll be slower….
H
Hexebah
Jul 27, 2004
16 Bit images by chance? HD space available? RAM allocation to Photoshop? – Give us some more clues.

Chip
SG
Stephen_German
Jul 27, 2004
I was having the same problem, also other tools were operating sluggishly, until I reduced the memory allocation from 70% to 60%. I have 1G RAM in a G5, so maybe your memory max is different. Got the idea from a post on another subject.
PB
Aug 5, 2004
Yes, I’m working in very large 16 bit images. But, 8 bit, small files still exhibit the same probelm; only not as badly.

There is plenty of HD space and lots of memory (2 GB total) available. I’m allocating 60% of 2 GB for PS use.

Responding to Ann’s comment. Yes, I’m painting with disconnected dots when I move the brush at greater than snail speed.

Ann also mentioned an old tablet driver problem, but the problem manifested itself without a change in tablet drivers or software upgrade. It just started becoming more of a problem over time. But, I will upgrade drivers if there’s a newer one and report back.
PB
Aug 5, 2004
I just checked the Wacom web site. I’m using the latest driver.
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Aug 5, 2004
Brian:

I would also upgrade to Panther 10.3.4.

And, despite Adobe’s caveat, install both of these patches:

Photoshop CS Adjusted Refresh plug-in
and
Photoshop CS MPSupport plugin

Also run Cocktail if you haven’t done so recently.

Another thing: put your Scratch disk on a second internal HD if you can. It makes a huge difference.
R
Ram
Aug 5, 2004
Brian,

There is plenty of HD space

What’s your idea of "plenty"? Do you have at least 20% of your drive available (regardless of total capacity)?

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections