PM
Posted By
phillip_meria
Oct 18, 2005
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Photoshop CS, Windows XP Sm Bus Ed, Dell 1GB RAM, 120GB HD, 54GB free disk space.

What am I not doing correctly that prevents me from changing the file format from .psd to .jpg using the "Save As" command?

The .jpg format is not even a file type option on the drop down file type menu in the "Save As" window. I can change .psd to .tif and vice versa.

P.S.
I also have PS E2 installed on my system, using the same files, I can change file formats from .psd to .jpg either in batch mode or "Save As" command in the file menu and I can’t do either in CS.

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

D
deebs
Oct 18, 2005
It works for me in CS and CS2 by:

1 – psd file open

2 – CTRL+SHIFT+S

3 – append to filename if wished

4 – press tab key once

5 – press J

6 – enter twice
C
chrisjbirchall
Oct 18, 2005
My guess is you are working in 16bit.
PM
phillip_meria
Oct 19, 2005
Thank you both for your fast response.

deebs: Sorry I was unable to duplicate your solution.

chrisjbirchall: You were right I am working in 16-bit mode. There’s a lot more for me to learn about PS CS.

It is curious though that I am able to change the format as I stated in my original msg Post Script. PS E2 doesn’t seem to care whether it’s 8-bit or 16-bit.

I hope that PS CS2 includes this time saving feature.
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 20, 2005
Elements should care – since you can throw away quality without realizing it by saving to a file format that requires a different bitdepth. That’s a bug in Elements.
PM
phillip_meria
Oct 22, 2005
Chris Cox

I would like this feature in both Elements and Photoshop. Caveat: Need a warning dialogue box to save your 16-bit file quality before changing formats.

I appreciate your input
CC
Chris_Cox
Oct 23, 2005
It’s not a problem in Photoshop: Photoshop will only offer file formats that support your current document.
DG
Dana_Gartenlaub
Oct 23, 2005
Everyone runs into this once. It’s sort of a rite of passage, not finding jpeg in the list and then saying "Oh, yeah, I’m in 16 bit".

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections