Corrupted file – horizontal line one pixel wide.

MC
Posted By
Martin_Causer
Jul 27, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
This has only happened once in my work to my knowledge.

When editing a picture (CMYK, 300dpi, 15 cm wide x 11.5 cm high) by using ‘levels’, a horizontal black line one pixel wide appeared. This did not run across the entire picture, but started and finished within the bounds of a lighter area. The line is composed of the same CMY colours (roughly 9%, 8%, and 3% respectively) as the area that the line runs across, but the black has increased from 0-1% to 100%. The line was not created inadvertently with a drawing tool, but is so precisely positioned as not to have been seen as an error at the time – ie it looks as though it’s meant to be there.

The client (a photographer) was quick to spot that it wasn’t meant to be there, and is using this as a reason why he shouldn’t pay for the advertisement in which the picture appeared.

Any clues?

Regards

Martin

MacBook Pro 16” Mockups 🔥

– in 4 materials (clay versions included)

– 12 scenes

– 48 MacBook Pro 16″ mockups

– 6000 x 4500 px

P
Phosphor
Jul 27, 2004
Some possible reasons I’ve seen that can cause this:

•poorly seated cables (internal or external).
•Bad or improperly seated RAM or video card.
•RF interference.

It’s the iunpredictable nature of this type of corruption that makes the cause hard to track down. I spent 2 months with technicians trying to chase the problem down with one Mac networked through a Fiery RIP/print server and a Canon CLC 1000 color laser printer/scanner. I’m not sure they evver figured it out. They just kept throwing stuff at the system until it was fixed.

All I can say is: "Good Luck with all that."
AS
Ann_Shelbourne
Jul 27, 2004
Just possibly someone (either the Photographer, your operation or the Printer?) saved that file across a network instead of directly to their desktop.

I reckon that the culprit gets to pay for the cost of re-running the Ad.?!

:~(
R
Ram
Jul 27, 2004
To expand on what Ann just said:

If you are opening files over a network or saving them to a network server, cease and desist immediately. That’s a BIG no-no.

See:

Buko "Issues When Working from Networks or Removable Media" 3/23/03 11:02am </cgi-bin/webx?14/0>

and:

<http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/19dd2.htm?code=TA>

Copy the CLOSED file from your server to your local HD, work on it, save it again to your HD, close it, and copy the closed file back to the server.
NK
Neil_Keller
Jul 29, 2004
Martin,

Looking at the other side of this problem. IF you had the photographer sign off on the file and the proofs, then it ain’t your fault, and you shouldn’t be penalized.

At what stage did the anomaly occur? Was the file delivered to you by the photographer that way? Did it happen on your system while you were working on it? Did you see it? Did it happen in file transfer to the publication?

This is why it is SO important to get the client to review and sign off on a job just before it goes to the publication or printer. And to review and sign off on the proof submitted by the publication. Not you. The client.

Neil

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections