AT
Posted By
Andrew_Turek
Jan 6, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Has anybody any experience of these high-grade boys’ toys: the binoculars with built-in digital camera: or the other way round, I suppose. Can anyone post some results? What sort of magnification over what sort of distance?

Andrew Turek

How to Master Sharpening in Photoshop

Give your photos a professional finish with sharpening in Photoshop. Learn to enhance details, create contrast, and prepare your images for print, web, and social media.

BG
Byron Gale
Jan 6, 2004
Andrew,

A friend of mine purchased one of those… and I got to play with it.

Based on his (and I don’t recall the brand, but it was off-the-wall), I can’t recommend owning one.

A set of cheap binoculars will out-perform these – very narrow field of vision, very dim. The camera is fixed focal-length, low resolution. No screen for viewing shots taken, and controls reminiscent of early digital watches, which require pressing multiple buttons simultaneously (there were only three or four) to access some of the functions.

I won’t be buying one.

All in all, it is a disappointing gimmick.

IMHO.

Byron
AT
Andrew_Turek
Jan 6, 2004
Thanks, Byron, another gimmick comes off my shopping list!

Andrew.
AT
Andrew_Turek
Jan 6, 2004
Unless of course others think otherwise?

Andrew.
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 7, 2004
Don’t give up too easily, Andrew ! <G> They probably are a gimmick, but I’d like a similar gimmick myself. I’m thinking of getting "night vision" binoculars ( or a monocular ), and it would be cool to have a camera in it ( even if it was a "cheesy" quality digital ).

Somebody out there oughta take our wish list and start inventing.

🙂

Brent
JF
Jodi_Frye
Jan 7, 2004
start inventing ??? Big Brother invented that a long time ago 🙂 seriously though….doesn’t the government already use night vision photo gear ?
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 7, 2004
Indeed they do. We used some night vision things a few years ago in the total darkness in Central America, and wow, you DO see animals at night. But the really good ones that these scientists had were way out of our price zone.
In the Cabellas catalog there are some good ones, and they have a quite good explanation of the grades, they go from ‘first to third generation’ and the price reflects this. We never bought them, just borrowed, yet they are fun, but expensive for the few animals that you will see in your back yard raiding the bird feeder and the garbage cans. But fun,,,,
Jane
BB
brent_bertram
Jan 7, 2004
The night creatures are my incentive, but so far, I haven’t the $$$ for a decent setup. I have deer stealing corn and sugar beets from some dishes in the back yard, and I enjoy catching them in the act <G> .

🙂

Brent
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 7, 2004
And exactly WHY do you leave corn and sugar beets in dishes in the backyard?! This is a set up for those poor darlings, isn’t it? You meany.

We put ears of dried corn out in our backyard for the squirrels, but we don’t use it for bait so we can bully them! 🙂
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 7, 2004
Our ‘resident’ red fox scored again yesterday, she left the squirrel’s poor tail under our bird feeder. Must have taken the big fat tree-rat home to her den for dinner for the yearling pups.
One less rodent in the Carter’s yard. The fox ignores our yellow lab, she couldn’t catch her if she had wings.
Jane
DS
Dick_Smith
Jan 7, 2004
"The fox ignores our yellow lab, she couldn’t catch her if she had wings."

Ah, yes, Jane, but she is a Lab and they can do anything, right! Kind of like a "legend in her own mind"!

Dick

How to Improve Photoshop Performance

Learn how to optimize Photoshop for maximum speed, troubleshoot common issues, and keep your projects organized so that you can work faster than ever before!

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections