ME
Posted By
Martha_Edwards
Jan 1, 2004
Views
Replies
Status
Closed
Please help. I cannot import photos from my new digital camera – Minolta Dimage Z1, directly to Photoshops Elemetns 2. The Dimage Viewer software has been installed and imports the pictures into "My Picture" folder on the Windows XP program, so the software is properly installed. Following the procedures as instructed from the Photoshop Elements Welcome screen, I click the "Connect to camera button". On the popup screen I do not have a digital camera name to select – only the following: PDF image, Dell Image Expert Supported Camera, Frame from Video or WIA Support. Is my camera so new that it is not compatable with the program or what? Any suggestions to correct this will be highly appreciated. I’ve had no other problems using the program. Thanks for your help!

Must-have mockup pack for every graphic designer 🔥🔥🔥

Easy-to-use drag-n-drop Photoshop scene creator with more than 2800 items.

R
Ray
Jan 1, 2004
Martha,

Select WIA (it’s the Windows Image Acquisition), it will be like a wizzard to help you collect your pictures. It only works if the camera is connected and powered on.

Ray
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 1, 2004
And you might want to consider getting a card reader and using that instead of doing downloads directly from your camera. It’s easier on the camera, because, as Ray points out, the camera needs to be powered on and connected for direct downloads. With a reader, you just insert the card and put the camera off somewhere safe. Of course maybe your den is neater than mine. I wouldn’t want my camera dangling around in my computer area! 🙂
LK
Leen_Koper
Jan 1, 2004
Martha, inaddition to Beths’ advice: if your camera batteries run out when you are uploading your images to your computer, you can be in serious trouble as sometimes the card will become unreadable. This happened to a colleague of mine when he was uploading wedding images….

Leen
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 1, 2004
Ah, finally somebody who knows somebody who had that happen! I was trying to convince someone that wasn’t just an "urban myth", but I didn’t have a real-life example. At least now I can say "I know somebody who knows somebody…" 🙂
SK
Shan_Ko
Jan 1, 2004
Martha,

The uploading directly from camera to computer cost me a 340 MB Microdrive! 🙁 It could have been human error since I was suffering from jet lag and insufficient sleep from a two-week land tour. Since then I bought a card reader and had no more problem with fried storage cards. Do yourself a favor and get a card reader. It would be the best twenty dollars you spend on digital photography.

Shan
JC
Jane_Carter
Jan 2, 2004
I almost had the fried card, low battery problem, but the young man in my local camera store brought this to my attention, and sold me a $12 card reader that solved the potential problem. I did, however, always use the power supply to my camera during the camera to computer uploads at home.
The instructions had that in a large print warning, but it was when I was uploading to other family computers when I did not have my power cable with me that was scary. Some card readers are only usable with their brand cards, so later on I bought a ‘universal’ one for about $20. Can just bring it with me if needed.
Jane
ME
Martha_Edwards
Jan 2, 2004
I did try the WIA – the camera was connected and power on. The message that came on was "No WIA compatable devices were detected. Check power and if devise is plugged in to computer."
R
Ray
Jan 2, 2004
Ok… You may need to download and install WIA compatible drivers. What’s the brand and model of your camera ?
ME
Martha_Edwards
Jan 3, 2004
The camera brand is Minolta – Dimage Z1
KL
Kenneth_Liffmann
Jan 3, 2004
Martha,
I bought a new digital camera 2 weeks ago and a card reader as well. This has eliminated problems such as yours for me. I put a new "card reader" folder on my desktop, slip the card from the camera right in to the reader, copy & paste in to the "card reader" folder.Then I access the picture file that I want to work on and bring it in to Elements. By the way, card readers are very inexpensive, and as has been pointed out on this forum, you don’t run the risk of dropping the camera while working, and there is no drain on the batteries.
Ken
BH
Beth_Haney
Jan 3, 2004
And the best part about a reader is that there are no compatibility and/or download problems! 🙂 Card readers just "work" like they’re supposed to without worrying about drivers, etc.

Master Retouching Hair

Learn how to rescue details, remove flyaways, add volume, and enhance the definition of hair in any photo. We break down every tool and technique in Photoshop to get picture-perfect hair, every time.

Related Discussion Topics

Nice and short text about related topics in discussion sections